Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Auto Starting Programs

Posted by werner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Auto Starting Programs
March 11, 2008 02:46AM
The hidden file .elxstrt contains the commands that start after you login. It could be compared to the dos autoexec.bat file. In the file manager, click "view" > "show hidden files" and you will see it. Right-click on it and open with your favorite editor. Any local program you wish to start (or remove) is here. If you wish to disable a program, type a # in front of it. The shell will ignore everything after this character.

To add a program, I'll use an example that I have used. I wanted a system meter program (xosview) to start automatically. The command is: xosview -load -page -disk -ints -geometry 100x100+683+414 &

The & at the end of the command is important. It tells the shell to put the command in the background. I save the file and presto! It starts with enlightenment with options that I prefer.

Note: xosview is NOT installed with the base system by default. It can be installed by clicking Elivepanel > Admin and System > Package Manager > search xosview and check for installation. Then click apply.