Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

(Solved!) Wireless problems / Wicd install / Gem

Posted by ndegekubwa 
(Solved!) Wireless problems / Wicd install / Gem
June 18, 2009 06:39PM
Hi,
I am new to Elive and am trying it out on my laptop (HP Pavillion dv2000) to see how it works. I am having a problem getting the wireless to work. I have installed ndiswrapper and the driver that works for a broadcom b4311 card. I have also installed wifi-wiz so that I can log on to my home wireless router which uses a WPA encryption.

When I start wifi-wiz, I hit the scan button and it scans the area and finds both mine and my neighbor's wireless routers. However, when I try to log into my router or any other wireless router, I get the following message in terminal:

Exception in thread Thread-l:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "threading.py", line 442, in __bootstrap self.run()
File "/usr/bin/wifi-wiz", line 1367, in run update("threaded"wink
File "/usr/bin/wifi-wiz", line 594, in update return update2(inuput)
File "/usr/bin/wifi-wiz", line 493, in update2 curip=line[line.index('addr:')+5:line.indes(' B')]
ValueError: substring not found

up:error fetching interface information: Device not found

I am unable to log into any wireless network, it seems that the wireless card is working but it isn't interfacing with the operating system. I don't know if there is some additional configuration that I must do to get the wireless working that I don't know about. I hope the information above is a help to solve this problem. I would like to get the wireless working on this laptop but will need some help.

Thanks

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2010 07:02AM by anu.
Re: Wireless problem
June 18, 2009 06:55PM
Hi,
for some reason the message I posted didn't post a large part of my post, so I am going to try and repost the complete terminal message. If it works there should be about a paragraph's worth of terminal message. If you only can read a line of it, obviously it is still not working.

Exception in thread Thread-l:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "threading.py", line 442, in __bootstrap self.run()
File "/usr/bin/wifi-wiz", line 1367, in run update("threaded"wink
File "/usr/bin/wifi-wiz", line 594, in update return update2(inuput)
File "/usr/bin/wifi-wiz", line 493, in update2 curip=line[line.index('addr:')+5:line.indes(' B')]
ValueError: substring not found

up:error fetching interface information: Device not found

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2009 06:56PM by ndegekubwa.
Re: Wireless problem
July 04, 2009 07:29PM
Hi,
I never could get the wireless to work in Elive Stable, either with ndiswrapper or with B43-fwcutter or bcm43xx-fwcutter.

I downloaded the 1.93 unstable version and was able to get the wireless working with B43-fwcutter in that version of elive.
Wicd and WAP problem
June 07, 2009 06:19PM
Hi All

Any suggestions for enabling a wpa wireless connection.

I tried to install WICD but I got the error:

module name not found. wicd.wpath
Re: Wicd and WAP problem
June 08, 2009 02:37AM
hi jptallendo!

First of all we need to know what Version of Elive you are using.
GEM?
Wifi-support is a known Problem in GEM.

Try latest dev-version. This is pretty stable and well working even with wifi-devices.
Wicd and success in wireless connection
May 17, 2008 11:44AM
A few moments ago, I had success connecting with a Belkin USB Network adapter. I have had problems with wifi-radar in Zenwalk 5.0, and learned to install and use "wicd". Now, in a very beautiful Elive e17 installation at my Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop, with wicd my wireless network appears available, and my laptop was succesfully connected to my router. You must install with ndiswrapper (if you have not ndiswrapper install it from de debian repositories with Package Manager) the M$ driver at the CD of Belkin N.Adapter, and as root do: modprobe -i ndiswrapper If ifconfig does not show the interface wlan0, then do ifconfig wlan0 up The green light of the adapter will blink Then, follow this instructiosn to install wicd: See the page http: / / wicd.sourceforge.net /download.php

Installing Wicd in Debian

You can also use the apt repository. Just add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http: // apt.wicd.net debian extras

Now you can apt-get update and apt-get install wicd

Troubleshooting If Wicd fails to connect after you install it, make sure that the only entry in your /etc/network/interfaces file is

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

You can change the contents of this file by typing as root in elive:

cream /etc/network/interfaces

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2008 12:07PM by maceiras.
FA
wicd install
December 06, 2007 01:48AM
Hello

I am totally new to Elive and very unexperienced in Linux, especially Debian.

I want to configure 2 different wireless networks for my computer (Home and University). I read about wicd but i don't know how to install it. Can I use apt-get?

Thanks
Re: wicd install
December 15, 2007 10:44PM
I'm not sure about wicd in particular, but I know you can simply run 'apt-cache search <packagename>' if you need to know the actual name. If there are too many to list in a window, you can always use 'apt-cache search wicd | more'

Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2007 10:44PM by SpudDogg.
Re: wicd install
December 21, 2007 03:42PM
Nope, wicd won't appear in your repositories.Go to google and search for 'wicd'. the first result is the homepage for the wicd project. Download the .deb file. Navigate to the .deb file with the file browser and it should gtk-debi for you when you double-click the .deb.

That ought to do it. If you run e17genmenu afterwards it will pop-up in your menu under Generated Menus->Network. If not, try the run command in your menu from the left-click or run it from a terminal. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2007 02:48PM by quan2m.
mbr
Wireless rt2870 USB adapter with Elive 1.0 Gem
April 28, 2009 08:41AM
Hi,

I am new to Elive, and I am seeking some help in order to try have my Linksys USB adapter WUSB54GSC to work with Elive Gem. According to the Windows driver that came with the adapter, it uses a Ralink rt2870 chipset. So, I downloaded the driver from the Ralink site and tried to compile it. The first problem was lack of source kernel for 2.6.18 that Elive 1.0 Gem uses. After downloading the source I had to issue the make command in order to have a certain "modpost" inside the source kernel. After theses steps I was able to compile the rt2870 source, or so I think I did, but I can't load it, because when I try

/sbin/insmod rt2870sta.ko

it says

insmod: error inserting 'rt2870sta.ko': -1 Invalid module format

I tried then ndiswrapper, actually, ndisgtk, but that does not work as well.

Could somebody help me ? I would hate to be forced to remove Elive from my system because of that.
Re: Wireless rt2870 USB adapter with Elive 1.0 Gem
May 03, 2009 06:18AM
How about trying latest dev-Version?
This may support your Device by default.
emosmile
mbr
May 03, 2009 05:03PM
I haven´t thought about that. But, since it is still in development, wouldn´t it break my system ? And, are these development versions capable to just upgrade my system ?
May 03, 2009 11:21PM
Well, first of all you need to know that all Elive-versions are Life-Systems.
This means you can easily try them without an install. Just boot from CD and have Fun!
emosmile
Elive-dev Versions are not as unstable as some might think. I'm using latest 1.9.26 and it runs quite well and stable.

So in Case latest dev-version would do the job you can either install it "over" your Version. The System will keep your /home folder. So all users, passwords and most Settings will remain.
Or you install this dev-version to another partition on your HDD. This makes sure keeping the old system as is AND having the benefits of the new one as well.
(btw: that's how I did it)
Re: (Solved!) Wireless problems / Wicd install / Gem
April 26, 2016 04:01AM
it uses a Ralink rt2870 chipset. So, I downloaded the driver from the Ralink site and tried to compile it. The first problem was lack of source kernel for 2.6.18 that Elive 1.0 Gem uses. After downloading the source I had to issue the make command in order to have a certain "modpost" inside the source kernel. After theses steps I was able to compile the rt2870 source,????

== Chess ==

lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 04:08AM by Bohatyaor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login