Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

elive Kdenlive sid Upgrade Install

Posted by xetaprime 
elive Kdenlive sid Upgrade Install
August 01, 2010 11:28AM
It's been a long week and a half!!!

Hey Hello!

A week and a half ago (seems like an eternity) I left my PCLinuxOS KDE 3.5 which has been my home for the last 6+ years because they went all KDE 4 on me. Just something about KDE4 that really bugs me. Well, and, I couldn't install Kdenlive either. While searching for a new distro I learned of e17 and of course elive among others. First I tried elive by downloading it then learned I couldn't install it so I went all Zeitgeist! Of course I found I couldn't install Kdenlive there either easily so I quickly jumped to GOS, OpenGeu, Ubuntu with e17, Mint 9 lxde with e17, MoonOS and even PCLinuxOSE17... well, you know how it goes- if it's not one thing it's another! I had MoonOS all setup and watching videos online froze my pc. The same thing happened with PCLinux and then Ubuntu and Mint... argghh! I wanted Kdenlive dammit!

Last night I bit the bullet and made the donation and installed elive. Getting Kdenlive installed went very well but took a long long time. First I updated the system. Then added the ftp.de.debian.org/debian main sid (deb and src) to synaptic repositories. That reloaded fine and even showed Kdenlive 7.7.1. However upon trying to install it it wanted to remove e17. So I didn't use synaptic. I used 'aptitude safe-upgrade' in the terminal- hoping I wouldn't break the system. And it upgraded and I didn't lose the system! Then I went back to synaptic and tried Kdenlive again but had errors about ffmpeg and others that 'were not going to be installed. I added the 'debian-multimedia.org sid main' and 'debian-multimedia.org testing main' and went straight to the terminal- aptitude install kdenlive- I think. For a week and a half I've been trying one thing after another so don't quote me. Anyway- it went in! At one point during the initial 'safe-upgrade' I got the desktop failure window but the console was still working in the background so I waited until all was finished.

I'm not sure it's stable. I don't much care at the moment. I'm a long time Linux user and am not so happy about all this 'no root gui login paranoia' stuff. Having a root login has taught me so much. It really urks me when someone says I shouldn't log in as root. But that's another story :0

Gonna go play now- ehh I haven't tried watching video online yet- I'll let you know (fingers crossed).

Best wishes,
xetaprime

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2010 02:27PM by xetaprime.
Re: elive Kdenlive sid Upgrade Install
August 01, 2010 12:30PM
I just watched an episode of Phsyc (totally LOLd!) on Hulu and all went well. I never had video freezing in KDE 3.5+. Debian elive worked great! Very big sigh! I wish I could make a live cd of this easily :( That's one of the blessings of PCLinuxOS. But I thank you elive! I might just have a home again!
August 04, 2010 03:04PM
Okay- my new distro of choice seems to be elive! Everything is working!

I'm afraid I was spoiled by PCLinuxOS for so many years I never had to touch the teminal- though it is coming back to me...

Anyone know how to make a live cd of what I have just in case- so I don't have to do the whole thing over again at some point?

Thanx elive for this system!

Best wishes,
Xetaprime
August 14, 2010 03:17PM
Well, I'm writing from a competition e17 Why? Because I can't make a live dvd of my elive system. I guess I'm spoiled by being able to back up a completely configured system onto a live installable dvd. I tried and tried to get remastersys installed in elive and failed. If anyone has gotten it to work please let me know. So anyway... if I get it working myself I'll check back in.

Best wishes, Xeta

Oh, here's my new desktop emosmile

August 15, 2010 02:47PM
Hi xetaprime , because it puts the screen the appropriate section ? idea please , so we can all see, good screenshot

Thank you!
Agust

Linux user # 461797
Elive user since 2006
August 17, 2010 10:07AM
Hello! What section to post screen shots in? I might have missed it. Thanx!
August 17, 2010 11:08AM
Xetaprime, you can post in User's corner in this forum, and also in e17-stuff.org to brag happy

I am also curious about the DVD burn you attempted. Is it to boot as a rescue disk, or just all-purpose boot live? With your saved data still being written to the hard drive? as in Persistent mode?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login