Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Elive good for a slow Laptop??

Posted by shgadwa 
Is Elive good for a slow Laptop??
July 08, 2008 05:32PM
My brother has a Compaq computer. its a 266Mhz, 32MB RAM, 10GB Hard Drive. I can add an additional 64MB for $6.00.

Currently, it has Deli Linux installed on it, which is very basic but seems to do ok.

So, would Elive work on this laptop and how fast/slow would it be???

Also, my mom wants to use this computer for switched on schoolhouse (home school program that requires windows XP). Can win work on elive, on this laptop, to run this program or not?? I think the program needs more memory that 96MB but, I do not know.

Thank you for the help.
adw
Re: Is Elive good for a slow Laptop??
October 15, 2008 04:37PM
It's difficult to say whether elive would be quicker than another Linux but it is quicker then most. It should certainly work! Any program that requires WinXP will not run on any Linux although running 'WINE' allows you to run some MS Windows software using a special 'shell' so it may be possible.
It is worth trying!
December 08, 2008 01:13AM
Hi!
I have a similaire probleme with my IBM/100Mhz/64k RAM/2G HD.Can I install Elive?
February 01, 2009 07:41AM
Well, i bet it would work, not the fastest ever, but i think that i could.

Just try, no harm
March 22, 2009 12:46PM
> **abojkova Wrote:**
>
> Hi!
> I have a similaire probleme with my IBM/100Mhz/64k
> RAM/2G HD.Can I install Elive?
No.
The "recommended hardware requirements" are:

* 300 MHz
* 128 Mb of RAM
* At least 2.5 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
* VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
* CD-ROM drive
Your comp doesn't even meet the minimum requirements. Throw another ethernet card in that sucker and use it as a firewall.
Kol
March 28, 2009 08:19AM
I think that yes. Enlightenment is faster and lighter than any other window manager and desktop environment (gnome, kde, xfce, etc)
mbr
April 28, 2009 08:43AM
I have installed Elive in an old Sony Vaio laptop with 256MB of ram. It works very well, and it is fast. So, I would suggest you to try.
August 17, 2009 08:11AM
i have elive installed on a amd duron 800mhz with 160mb of ram.
the system runs, but it's not really fast.
for old systems there's distros like Deli linux or DSL, they use older kernel versions which aren't as heavy on the system as the 2.6.x versions. Obviously you won't have e17 on those systems though.
August 21, 2009 12:33PM
Monitoring my system all the time with conky or gkrellm I noticed that the elive default-standard(no compiz way) unstable uses at least 90-95mb ram and 1-5% from my cpu.In the compiz profile it uses minimum 160-200mb ram.

Procesor Intel Ci3-2100 3.10Ghz,64bit,3MB BOX,
4GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz,
NVIDIA GeForce 210,1GB DDR3,PCI-E,
Linux user:#492560,E17-Ecomorph user.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
[www.youtube.com] [stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com]#
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login