Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AMD based systems

Posted by leanmoha 
AMD based systems
September 09, 2009 09:44PM
Hi

Before I start I'ld like to say what a great job everyone involved in brining this distribution and Enlightenment and Ecomorph to life are doing, I can truly say this is a dream OS.

That said, I'm just wondering if AMD based machines are supported or is it just intel? I tried running the liveCD on 2 AMD based desktops and had issues booting.
On the first one
AMD Phenom 9850 quad-core
ATI Radeon HD3200
ABIT motherboard
4gig RAM

EliveCD boots up to the language selection screen but stops after this it seems to fail to load the Kernel and non of the boot options work, black screen, fail safe 1 and 2

On the 2nd desktop
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3600
ATI Radeon HD3670
ASUS M2N-SLI motherbaord
2gig RAM

The initial boot kernel is not loader and all that happens is a command line message comes up saying press the TAB key to show the full list of commands. This message is follower by
"grub>" and the computer waits for a command to be entered. Unfortunately, all commands except "boot" seem to end up with with "Error 12: invalid command"
the boot command returns a message "you need to load the kernel first"

Am I doing something wrong or is it just that Elive does not yet support the AMD architecture?

I actually tried ubuntu 9.04 livecd on the second machine and it returned an error message

"Firmware Bug powernow-k8 your BIOS does not provide ACPI _PSSobjects in a way that linux understands"
could this firmware issue ubuntu is pointing to be related to why Elive just doesn't boot on the computer?
Strange this though is that ubuntu 8.10 and SUSE 11.1 run fine on it.

Thanks
Re: AMD based systems
September 11, 2009 05:29AM
OK so after a few hours of faffing around, I discovered that Ubuntu's problems are unique to itself and the issue I'm having getting EliveCD to bootup on the 2 AMD boxes is a completely different issue. Perhaps I have to change some settings on the bios of both machines for elivecd to work.
September 11, 2009 08:14AM
Look at my sig,I never had hard issues with elive.

Procesor Intel Ci3-2100 3.10Ghz,64bit,3MB BOX,
4GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz,
NVIDIA GeForce 210,1GB DDR3,PCI-E,
Linux user:#492560,E17-Ecomorph user.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
[www.youtube.com] [stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com]#
September 14, 2009 09:14AM
Hi Stanca,

Yeah, I know, its really odd I'm getting booting issues. confused

I think I did install elive once on my old laptop which was an Athlon Turion. I think I'll just have to keep fiddling with the BIOS settings to try and get it to boot. I recently had getting issues booting the installed windows vista but once I reset the BIOS to its optimised default it worked again. perhaps that's what the problem is
September 14, 2009 01:56PM
Stanca,

I've worked out what the issue is at least with the first box, the

AMD Phenom 9850 quad-core
ATI Radeon HD3200
ABIT A-S78H motherboard
4gig RAM

Basically, in the BIOS options under power managment, there is an option called HPET, I have no idea what it is but it is set to enabled by default. When I disable this option, EliveCD boots perfectly without any problems. The only issue I now have is that I am using the onboard ATI Radeon HD3200 card and Elive doesn't like ATI that much and ecomorph equally doesn't like non-proprietary drivers.

Thanks
September 15, 2009 08:39AM
Fortunately my old nvidia geforce fx 5500 video card is still supported by compiz/ecomorph in linux,especially with the last 173.21.18 supported driver for it.Anyway I feel that very soon I'll need a whole new computer,this one is already "very old" for these days,since 2005-2006.

Procesor Intel Ci3-2100 3.10Ghz,64bit,3MB BOX,
4GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz,
NVIDIA GeForce 210,1GB DDR3,PCI-E,
Linux user:#492560,E17-Ecomorph user.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
[www.youtube.com] [stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com]#
September 15, 2009 06:14PM
I hear you, I'm going to start hunting on ebay for a cheap NVIDIA card with HDMI out like the 9600M on my laptop or at least equivalent to the ATI one. But you know? your computer may be old but you probably will want nothing too new just in case you get issues with the newer hardware. My Acer laptop comes with an intel/realtek HDA soundcard which is so new alsa have only just managed to get it configured into their driver base.

As for my wireless chip, intel's 5000 series AGN cards, I needed to update the kernel on elive to get that to work, unfortunately, updating the kernel now means VMWare doesn't work because its kernel modules need updating but I can't seem to find a dummies' guide to applying the patch so I've just had to leave it alone. I'm hoping that VirtualBox supports DirectX/driectdraw and opengl so I can play windows games like the Sims 3. I'm sure eventually Sims 3 will work on wine but till then virtual machines are all we've got.

Seriously, I luv Elive for being so lightweight and its design and will continue to use it as long as the project is going, but right now I'm wishing the guys would start using more up to date kernels.
February 03, 2010 08:54PM
I have A Phenom system as well and had the same problem.
with Nvidia i installed the drivers after installing using a generic vesa install
and also since i dual boot to regular Debian 64 bit
it will not boot after install , turns out that during grub install it gets confuse and it allocates the wrong
(0,0) to the boot section when it should have been (2,0) for my 3rd Hard Drive and /dev/sdc4 for swap
instead of /dev/sdb2 wich is my ext4 home partition of my Debian install.
I hope this helps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login