Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Realtek driver install - problems / incompatibility

Posted by ndegekubwa 
Realtek driver install - problems / incompatibility
November 26, 2009 08:31PM
Hi,
I am using Elive development version 1.9.51 on my laptop. It uses a Realtek rtl8192se wlan card, and I was able to obtain the Linux driver from realtek. I installed the driver via the installation instructions in the readme file in the driver, and it was successfully installed. However the wlan isn't configuring and I can't figure out how to get it working.

I checked the installation after installing the driver. I did the following in terminal:

lsmod | grep r8192se_pciproblems / incompatibility

and got a output that it is installed.

The driver installs itself and does its own depmod -a during installation, but I did the following again to make sure

depmod -a

I found the kernel module installed at /lib/modules/2.6.30-elive/kernel/net/wireless/r8192se_pci.ko

I did ifconfig -a and iwconfig wlan0

then rebooted the computer.

I again did lsmod | grep r8192se_pci and got the output that the module is loaded.

However, when I start the network configurator, there is a message that there is no wireless card.

I started the computer in nurse mode to detect the driver, but the r8192 driver isn't listed in the list so I am not able to select it.

I tried a couple of other things to try and get the driver to be recognized, but they didn't work so I am at the point to ask for some help to get this going.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2010 03:19PM by anu.
Re: Realtek rtl8192 driver install
December 19, 2009 01:18AM
Not much action on my post above. I wonder if someone knows which packages must be installed to compile the driver on this machine? Is this possible in Elive, or do programmers have to write a package to allow this driver to work?
realtek works in develoment not in stable where do i get the drivers from?
August 08, 2008 05:13AM
hi there ,well i'am back in the linux scene again ,and downloaded the develoment version of elive,and noticed that my onboard network card now works,so what driver are they using so i could import it to the stable version,i'am using mandriva at the moment,but there are far to many distros that have a windows like feel,and want something different like elive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2008 05:43AM by andyc7454.
realtek network installation problems
November 09, 2007 05:51PM
hi guys since after a hardware upgrade
i'am having problems installing realtek linux drivers for elive!since i'am pretty new to the whole linux thing
i'am finding it abit hard to install these drivers ,firstly there are about 5 different drivers for linux i have no idea what one i need,downloaded the one for kernel 2.4 but even reading the readme it makes no sence how to install,sadly with previous hardware elive
found network connection straight away!
please help
Re: realtek network installation problems
November 12, 2007 07:05PM
andyc7454,
unfortunately your Realtek network card is not compatible in Elive Gem, I too had a hardware upgrade with a new Realtek onboard net card which I couldnt find Elive to recognize until I found somewhere (cant remember) that it is not compatible. I went for Ubuntu waiting for the new Elive to fix the problem. Good luck.
anu
January 30, 2008 07:03AM
i guess my second card is too Realtek.. i cannot get it working..just changed to other..some cheap
March 11, 2008 06:59AM
plz help i cant install realtek network card on my elive...
Re: Realtek driver install - problems / incompatibility
March 09, 2010 08:14PM
Hi,
I have been working on this problem for some time and believe that I figured out how to get the driver to install. I am reading wireless networks with the wireless transceiver, but I can't get the network manager to recognize the driver so that I can use it to configure the network. I have to do everything by command line.

If someone could point me to how to configure how to which file controls the choices for network manager I will work on this problem, and hopefully report back soon with the whole process for installing the driver to get the wireless working via the network manager program.
March 10, 2010 04:15PM
Can you enter in IRC channel #elive? And there ask Thanatermesis about this problem.

Asus EeePC 1000H [Elive 2.0 Topaz]
Toshiba Satellite p10-802 -ATI video, ATI chipset, RealTech audio- [Elive 2.0 Topaz]
I hate ATI... but I love Elive. It work with ATI with no problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 04:16PM by DronAn.
August 15, 2010 09:33PM
Hi,
I have been trying to catch Thanatermesis on chat for some time without success. Is it possible for him to respond to this issue in this forum?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login