Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wep support?

Posted by MacUser 
wep support?
August 24, 2007 05:24AM
Hello, I have just installed elive on my MacBook and am very impressed... Nearly everything works flawlessly. I have noticed that ath0 is auto-detected, but I cannot seem to get a connection. After using the network utility, I have found that If I set it to DHCP then ath0 will not activate. I manually entered the IP address and subnet mask and it will activate fine(sometimes) Also, my network uses 128 bit wep. When I entered the key and ran the iwconfig, it shows as being 104-bit??? I have yet to be able to connect... I start school on monday and really the the wireless to be working...any advice? Thanks
Re: wep support?
August 24, 2007 08:18AM
What is the version exactly that you are using (name of the ISO file), its b-8 ?
August 24, 2007 11:42AM
The ISO is: Elive_0.9-b8_Macbook... <I think> I just downloaded it 2 days ago from [isos.elive-systems.com] on my previous linux install which elive replaced...
Was it just left out of the Development version?
September 03, 2007 07:50PM
OK, so I reformatted my entire HD and installed the 0.9 beta... WEP still does not work. Any ideas for a resolution? I'd like to wipe OSX off my HD and boot only elive. But I can't do this until I have WEP support.
September 04, 2007 09:32PM
I had to configure WEP for when I connect at work. The easiest way I found is to open the Elive panel and go to admin tools and open the network configuration, from there click the wireless connection and choose "properties" that will open the page where you can enter your WEP key. Be sure you have selected whether it is ASCII or Hex since it still won't work if the wrong one is selected. Then just re-enable the interface and it should work.
September 06, 2007 05:38AM
ok, here is my 'iwlist encryption' output:

ath0      3 keys sizes : 40, 104, 128bits
          4 keys available :
                  [1]: xxxxx
                  [2]: off
                  [3]: off
                  [4]: off
          Current Transmit Key: [1]
          Security Mode: restricted
          Authentication capabilities :
            WPA
            WPA2
            CIPHER TKIP
            CIPHER CCMP

as you can see under 'Authentication capabilities' WEP is not listed.

Also, when I enter my 128-bit key it registers as 104-bit??? and yes I am sure that I entered it correctly. But it says that I am connected, but Iceweasel and Synaptic will not connect. Also, when I am in the Network Manager, I have to manually enter the IP address(DHCP does not work)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 11:27AM by MacUser.
September 08, 2007 01:08AM
That's very odd.. I hadn't looked at that output on my install since it's been working... What stands out to me is the fact that my output looks identical to yours and I know we're using WEP at work but on mine it doesn't list WEP either... I'm going to have to experiment on this one I think...
October 02, 2007 01:07AM
Thanks MacUser, there's a problem with the madwifi driver and the kernel version, Im going to release b-10 but is very possible that the wep not works since the kernel is not upgraded, possible for b-11
October 02, 2007 05:40AM
Thanks for the update Thanatermesis. I am looking forward to the new releases. Until then I am using an Ubuntu LiveCD to access the internet. hmmmm
November 07, 2007 08:18AM
Hi Thanatermesis, I was wondering if the madwifi/kernal(WEP) issues were addressed in the new b12 release? I'd really like to get Ubuntu off my mac.
Thanks
December 07, 2007 05:43PM
Update...

Ok, so I don't think that it is the MacBook version or the madwifi driver... I tried GEM on my desktop PC and was unable to connect to by router via ra2500usb. The card was able to scan the networks, but unable to connect to mine. I am able to connect the router using other distros. I can't figure out why I'm having such an issue with elive...

I break things.
January 02, 2008 02:02AM
In version b14 this problem is present, on my MBP 17:

ath1 3 keys sizes : 40, 104, 128bits
4 keys available :
[1]: xxxxx
[2]: off
[3]: off
[4]: off
Current Transmit Key: [1]
Security Mode: restricted
Authentication capabilities :
WPA
WPA2
CIPHER TKIP
CIPHER CCMP

as you can see under 'Authentication capabilities' WEP is not listed.

Equal than "Macuser".

Thanks
November 26, 2008 05:37PM
WELL !

Finally this bug is fixed ! wow

unnafortunately Madwifi not has fixed it but instead we can use the new ath9k (new madwifi replacement) driver, it is included since the version 1.9.18 of Elive just published yesterday and it works wonderfully, also, this version has some re-work made in the macbook compatibility, like the webcam that works again

Have a nice time with Elive in your Macbooks !

clap :P clap :P clap

Thanatermesis
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login