Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
New BETA Forum!

Advanced

It must be compared with Ubuntu

Posted by svgt 
It must be compared with Ubuntu
March 06, 2008 06:08AM
Hi,

Simple configurations are not simple to do. If I am looking for better Nvidia drivers, there is nothing to be loaded from the servers. If I manage to install some game programs and Googleearth with Synaptic, I don't find them in any menu. I must guess possible names to test them from command level.

There is no button for total language localisation. I don't like to manage such tiny things for myself. In Ubuntu and especially in Mint those settings are ready or some are done in minutes.

In most cases something is wrong with monitor or graphic. I dare to change some parameters in the xorg.conf. There is no possibility to restart my user and GUI with CTRL/ALT/BACK. I must reboot the whole system.

But nevertheless this Elive Linux is one of the most beautiful systems I had ever seen. I don't regret that I spent little money for downlowding.

Regards, Svgt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2008 07:12AM by svgt.
Re: It must be compared with Ubuntu
September 20, 2009 11:30PM
Please do any bug report or feature request (try first if this still not working on a recent version of Elive Development) to [bugs.elivecd.org] instead, this thread will be removed soon emosmile
September 24, 2009 12:11AM
"In most cases something is wrong with monitor or graphic. I dare to change some parameters in the xorg.conf. There is no possibility to restart my user and GUI with CTRL/ALT/BACK. I must reboot the whole system."

Hi,
Hm, CTRL/ALT/BACK - works on mine elive, i use right ctrl and right alt.
October 05, 2009 11:18AM
Anu you are right in a lot of cases ctrl/alt/back works fine but sometimes the system just stops all together. Well it could still be doing something in the background but nothing else works not even the keyboard. This is an issue I found with the unstable releases after elive-compiz-1.9.40 up till then there were little issues like very slow window resizing and so on with easy enough fixes but from 1.9.42 on it seems unstable really has meant unstable. Unfortunately its hard to say this is the problem and fix it because it could be caused by so many different things.

But from my experience with system freezing its typically a driver issue, so I suspect its an issue with the graphics drivers, maybe they don't install properly.
October 05, 2009 08:31PM
From my personal experience all my system freezings was results of e17 bugs,wrong installed video drivers and even powernowd app's bugs.
I allways disable or remove the powernowd app after each new fresh system install.
Anyway it's useless in desktop machines.

Procesor Intel Ci3-2100 3.10Ghz,64bit,3MB BOX,
4GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz,
NVIDIA GeForce 210,1GB DDR3,PCI-E,
Linux user:#492560,E17-Ecomorph user.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
[www.youtube.com] [stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com]#

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2009 08:35PM by stanca.
October 06, 2009 01:25AM
stanca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From my personal experience all my system
> freezings was results of e17 bugs,wrong installed
> video drivers and even powernowd app's bugs.
> I allways disable or remove the powernowd app
> after each new fresh system install.
> Anyway it's useless in desktop machines.

What is the powernowd app and how do you remove it, I'm thinking of putting elive on my desktop.

Procesor AMD Phenom(tm) x4 9850,
4GB RAM DDR 800mhz,
XFX NVIDIA GeForce FX 8800GT, 512MB, PCI-E,
Nebula DigiTV DVB-T PCI
TechnoTrend STT-Connect 2-3650 DVB-S USD

So far, I've only tried it on my laptop.
October 06, 2009 04:38AM
Hey!!

Just installed version elive 1.9.48...I was actually trying to get hold of 1.9.47 when I saw 1.9.48 on the server, anyhoos,
I just installed it on my desktop and I though its early days, its really smooth, bootup time is very fast, granted I've got a quad-core cpu with 4gb 800mhz ddr 2, but still boot up is super fast.
Secondly, I installed ecomorph-e17 (version dated 20091006) and no more issues with the ecomp module not found issue. This was the root cause of freezing for me on version 1.9.44.

The only issue I've had so far has been down to my mobo coming with an onboard soundcard and I also have a soundblaster audigy platinum card so it confuses elive. Anyways I turned off the onboard audio controller from bios and now elive uses the audigy card by default.

So Svgt, you may need to just get hold of the latest development version of elive.

Now all I have to do is install vmware, and other software I need, and maybe figure out how to install my tv cards
October 06, 2009 09:58PM
Powernowd can be disabled from bootupmanager or remove it completely in the old fashion way:
from via synaptic,or terminal
apt-get remove --purge powernowd
Anyway I noticed too that standard elive is much more stable than elive compiz.

Procesor Intel Ci3-2100 3.10Ghz,64bit,3MB BOX,
4GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz,
NVIDIA GeForce 210,1GB DDR3,PCI-E,
Linux user:#492560,E17-Ecomorph user.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
[www.youtube.com] [stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com]#

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 10:01PM by stanca.
October 07, 2009 04:18AM
thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login