Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

64 bit eLive

Posted by Kanji_Man 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
64 bit eLive
July 15, 2009 03:51PM
I downloaded and have been impressed with what I've seen with eLive. It has encouraged me to give Enlightenment another look, especially with emorph extensions. I have begun using it on my laptop and enjoy it.

The problem is that elive only appears to be available in 32 bit. My main system has much more than 4GB of ram and so I use 64 bit linux there. I have tried several other repositories to install an E17 environment on there but none of them come close to the sophistication of apps I find on eLive.

Is there any plans for 64 bit eLive packages or CDs? Sure the 32 bit version runs but then we are limited to 4GB of ram.
Re: 64 bit eLive
July 18, 2009 09:35PM
Hi,

There are no plan for 64 bits elive currently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 09:36PM by phoenix.
September 15, 2009 05:36PM
i don't understand beacause you not decide to develop the 64 bit version ....

many of us use software and tools created only for x86_64 os architecture ....

i try to use #elive irc channel but i receive answers by a bot just ...

i please to you to develop it ....

i'm waiting our response

tnks
October 05, 2009 10:55AM
I have to agree with kaz2057, not because I think there's any performance needs for for elive for it to require 64bit and more than 4gb ram, but purely because as I said in another post, elive can not become a force if it remains in isolation.
Most computers these days are 64bit ready and as the years tick along, most of the old hardware will be gone so much so that you'll be hard pressed to fine a single box or shop carrying a 32bit OS. There's already a lot of 64bit software out there and the number is growing

This may sound far off but I suspect that by the time M$ and Apple come to release their next OS window 8 or osx+1 they will have no plans of releasing 32bit versions. Just think how long vista was in the market before 7 was released and that'll be the time frame.

So yes at the moment elive-x64 is potentially overkill given how lightweight E17 is but you need to start drawing up plans for elive-x64 very soon. If I was a clever as you guys are I'ld help set the ball rolling but I'm not up to speed on the programming.
October 05, 2009 08:26PM
I'm totally in agreement.In this way Elive Amd64 version will definitely surpass OpenGEU Amd64,once for ever.I know many linux and e17 users who still stick with opengeu,and stay away of elive because of that.
Last year I was an OpenGEU Amd64 8.04.1 user for a while for the same reason.But after I tried elive 1 gem for the first time...;here I am now,yet.wink

Procesor Intel Ci3-2100 3.10Ghz,64bit,3MB BOX,
4GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz,
NVIDIA GeForce 210,1GB DDR3,PCI-E,
Linux user:#492560,E17-Ecomorph user.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
[www.youtube.com] [stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 10:04PM by stanca.
October 07, 2009 04:09AM
I just noticed a lib64 folder in the usr/ directory, does that mean elive does implement some 64bit or is it just a linux default?
October 26, 2009 05:10AM
I agree get a 64 bit out there, even the most minimal distros have a 64 bit version now.

stanca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm totally in agreement.In this way Elive Amd64
> version will definitely surpass OpenGEU Amd64,once
> for ever.I know many linux and e17 users who still
> stick with opengeu,and stay away of elive because
> of that.
> Last year I was an OpenGEU Amd64 8.04.1 user for a
> while for the same reason.But after I tried elive
> 1 gem for the first time...;here I am now,yet.wink
November 06, 2009 05:07AM
.... what can i say?? .... i'm agree with this suggestion, because i had a 2 core processsor, but i use elive... then, i want a 64 bit version of this marvelous distro too...
March 19, 2010 02:02AM
nothing about 64bit version? ....

take a look just view post counter .... (700 viewers)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 02:03AM by kaz2057.
March 21, 2010 03:47AM
Why? What a benefit from 64bits? It is not working faster realy, it is eating just more memory.
Want more than 4Gb ram supported in Elive? Go in Reparation mode and install special kernel.

Asus EeePC 1000H [Elive 2.0 Topaz]
Toshiba Satellite p10-802 -ATI video, ATI chipset, RealTech audio- [Elive 2.0 Topaz]
I hate ATI... but I love Elive. It work with ATI with no problem.
March 21, 2010 05:46PM
DronAn Wrote:
> Why? What a benefit from 64bits? It is not working
> faster realy, it is eating just more memory.
> Want more than 4Gb ram supported in Elive? Go in
> Reparation mode and install special kernel.

to install x64 programs.
not only for performance.
take a look for autodesk softwares, such as maya. it is released only for x64 os ....
May 25, 2010 10:42PM
kaz2057 Wrote:
> DronAn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why? What a benefit from 64bits? It is not
> working
> > faster realy, it is eating just more memory.
> > Want more than 4Gb ram supported in Elive? Go
> in
> > Reparation mode and install special kernel.
>
> to install x64 programs.
> not only for performance.
> take a look for autodesk softwares, such as maya.
> it is released only for x64 os ....

However, although your hateful bot in ircChan and absence of interesting, i support and wait for a 64bit realease sooner or later to use it with my software package.
July 19, 2010 10:10AM
Better to go multilib than pure 64. there are some oft used apps that are only 32 bit.

to bad E17 doesn't work for me as well as E16 does, cause I'm doing a multilib build using clfs [ cross linux from scratch ] on 2 systems right now, E16 will be the UI on top of Xorg.
[ eye candy = evil to me ]
July 20, 2010 05:38PM
I point out another software developed on linux 64bit just:

Mari by The Foundry (used to create textures in Avatar Movie)

[www.thefoundry.co.uk]

Another reason to get on 64 bit ....
October 12, 2010 11:31AM
Another customer lost to a lack of 64 bit capability.

Sadly, it is the march of technology. Soonish you won't be able to buy any computer but 64 bit.
Too bad. Looks nice.

~DBB
November 26, 2010 01:25PM
/signed This distro needs a 64 bit
December 16, 2010 11:17PM
I'm knew to Linux and I know that Linux isn't Windows, but there are things that Windows does graphically that Linux should implement, and a lot of distros have. The problem I've found is getting the balance right; a beautiful OS with the best performance. Zorin OS claims speeds of 4 times that of Windows 7. The look of it isn't that great. It's ok, but why can't it be as good looking as E with that performance? They also have a 64bit version. I wonder how fast E17 is? I'm downloading now (well, my friend is. Don't have internetz at home at the moment) and will give it a bash because it looks stunning, but no 64bit version? That's a shame, 'cause I'm really looking into working with autodesk maya and stuff and would like E17 to be my primary os.

Oh well, "pheonix" above says there aren't any plans "currently". So lets hope it comes!