Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why Does Elive had Open Office 2.4 Instead of the Latest?

Posted by wmichaelb 
Why Does Elive had Open Office 2.4 Instead of the Latest?
March 06, 2010 12:42PM
Just a thought; I use the newer version a lot on other Linux machines.
- Michael B. in Cincinnati
Re: Why Does Elive had Open Office 2.4 Instead of the Latest?
March 06, 2010 02:47PM
Because Elive is still based on Debian Lenny Stable repos and not on Testing/Squeeze or Sid as Ubuntu does,I think.

Procesor Intel Ci3-2100 3.10Ghz,64bit,3MB BOX,
4GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz,
NVIDIA GeForce 210,1GB DDR3,PCI-E,
Linux user:#492560,E17-Ecomorph user.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
[www.youtube.com] [stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com]#
March 11, 2010 04:13AM
I have easily installed OpenOffice 3.2 on Elive. I went to the OpenOffice site, went to the download page for other platforms, and downloaded the .deb for US English- Linux 32-bit Deb.

In my Downloads folder I rt-clicked and extracted the file, went into the new OO folder, opened a terminal and followed the common directions for installing .deb files via terminal with root privileges.

[*] rt-click in folder to open a terminal there.
    [*] Enter "su" in the terminal, type inthe admin password
    [*] type in "dpkg -i *.deb" and hit enter.
    [*] When this is done, close your terminal, go back to the browser and open that "desktop-integration" folder within the OO folder there
    [*] Open a new terminal there, do the same "su" and "dpkg" routine as listed above.
    [*] All the OpenOffice apps are now found in your "Office" menu.

Don't forget to do the same in the OO desktop-integration folder.

Outta time, hope this gets you started. If you need detailed instructions I'll check later today when I get a break.

By the way, you can do the same for a number of useful apps not in the repositories. My favorites are:

Google Chrome
aTunes
Picasa
The Word (that's a Windows app, but works easily via Wine.
March 11, 2010 06:07AM
The reason why I replaced Elive by ubuntu was the lack of support and the main thing, extremely old repos. I'd install it again if you'd tell me how to change it.
Can you tell me that? Thanks in advance.
March 11, 2010 06:31AM
Wow, you are right where I was about a month ago.

You have an important choice to make, whether to have stability or freshness. As for me, I have always hopped from distro to distro to find the right balance between new features and stability. For me, every time I have used Ubuntu there has been trouble from using the latest versions of this and that, adding various PPA repos to the point of having problems.

The temptation was simply too great... I'd always ruin the system. In fact, I even installed Elive using the reiser4_lso file system on both / and /home partitions. Why? Because I like bright, shiny objects and may have been better off using something else.

If stable Debian does what you need, then I'd use it. If you can't stand being so far behind, go the Ubuntu route. If you like KDE, it appears that PCLinux will be released soon, as will Mepis. Those have always given me a better balance of new/stable than Ubuntu for me. OpenSuse always chokes on my system, so I cannot use it anymore.

-Scott
March 11, 2010 07:10AM
Use whatever you want. But Elive users just like this distro because it is not Ubuntu or some others. And it is based on STABLE Debian.
But if you can't get a newest versions of the programms running on Elive, it is your lazyness.
Anyone can find how install and where get needed (NEW) packages.

Asus EeePC 1000H [Elive 2.0 Topaz]
Toshiba Satellite p10-802 -ATI video, ATI chipset, RealTech audio- [Elive 2.0 Topaz]
I hate ATI... but I love Elive. It work with ATI with no problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login