Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BCM43xx Wirless issues

Posted by smirnoff 
BCM43xx Wirless issues
January 25, 2008 06:45AM
Hi guys I wonder if anyone can help, I'm new to linux / elive (which I think is awesome by the way) and could do with a bit of advice.

I have added the ndiswrapper tool and the front end and have added the firmware for my wlan adapter however I believe I need to edit the modules file and specify the ndiswrapper module in there, the only thing is in order to save the changes to the module file it needs editing as root user which is where I am stumbling as I seem to be unable to find a way to open the file as root / su, can anyone tell me how to do this?
Also can anyone advise on the best wireless application to use for connecting to wireless networks?

If all this fails I am thinking I may just get a wirless PCMCIA card for the laptop, does anyone know of any cards that work out of the box with elive no messing with setting up drivers etc?

Thanks in advance!! clap
Re: BCM43xx Wirless issues
January 25, 2008 08:32AM
Hi smirnoff!

Don't give up. You will get it to work eventually. I got my BCM43xx to work, by following this:

(I'm also a beginner)

Howto:

1. Ndiwsrapper came pre installed with my Elive Gem stable version. Just remember to use SU otherwise it will not run.

2. Downloaded the latest driver from the laptop manufacturerer. I just went to the manufacturer's support pages, and downloaded their latest windows xp driver.

3. Uncompressed the windows driver. Now you could do this by installing the driver on your windows machine.

4. Copy the two files from the driver directory that has the bcmwl5.inf AND .sys driver in it, over to the laptop that has the wireless card.

5. ndiswrapper -i /ndis/broad/bcmwl5.inf

6. ndiswrapper -l

This should show something like

# ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present

Note: If is says something like the driver doesn't work, then do a 'ndiswrapper -e bcmw15', and a 'ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf' to use the other driver that is in the directory.

Note2: If it says 'driver present' but not 'hardware present', then ndiswrapper knows how to use the driver, but the driver doesn't match your hardware.

7. modprobe ndiswrapper

Which should load the driver.

8. ndiswrapper -m
Which put's the correct syntax into your modprobe.conf area, setting things up a wlan0

After this my wireless card worked.

Now, I had to type "modprobe ndiswrapper" after each reboot to make it work. The helpful IRC community fixed that for me, but I can not remember how we did that. Just ask in IRC about that one.

Out of the box Elive would only connect to my network using WEP encryption. I installed wifi-wiz and that also makes WPA encryption working.
[students.ou.edu]

Hope you get it to work!

eViking
January 25, 2008 08:35AM
Fantastic thanks very much!!

I will have a go with this and let you know how I get on with it.

Thanks again!!
January 25, 2008 09:02AM
There is a typo in #5:

ndiswrapper -i /ndis/broad/bcmwl5.inf

I just ran ndiswrapper in the directory I had put the two files in. So i typed

ndiswrapper -i bcmw15.inf

My computer is a Asus A6Rp by the way (in case someone searches for info on that).

eViking
January 25, 2008 10:35AM
Viking your a star! As i had installed the driver using the ndiswrapper front end all I needed in the end was the modprobe ndiswrapper command to get it going... now on the hunt for the wireless software I like but all in all working!!

Thanks again!! :D
March 02, 2009 09:20PM
Hey there.

The Broadcom solution did not work for me (Laptop HP TX1330la -TX1000 series-) so i went googling and found my answer.

I hope it suits you:

[help.ubuntu.com]

Rodo.
August 20, 2010 05:08PM
Hello, i have a BCM43XX perfectly working on my Dell precision M20... with b43legacy module the only issue is that i have to do:

$modprobe b43legacy
$ifconfig wlan0 up

as superuser to make my wlan interface work hmmmm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login