Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1.9.52 and browsing

Posted by loukingjr 
1.9.52 and browsing
December 16, 2009 04:50PM
I am very new to your Linux and would consider it, however, although when I run a speed test my connection is what it should be: 20/5 Mb/s. When it comes to loading pages, things are very slow. Perhaps something I don't have configured correctly?
Re: 1.9.52 and browsing
December 28, 2009 05:32PM
if slowness is specific to browsers like iceweasel (or firefox), there are some speed tweaks available on the net (if you put something like "firefox tweaks", these show you how to change things through "about:config" in the location bar.
perhaps more importantly, you can try to disable ipv6 (through "about:config" as well), a protocol that most websites do not support and tends to slow things down. for me it does make a difference.
cheers!
January 04, 2010 12:00PM
Hi,
I'm not sure it's a browser config problem, it appear only with browsing what's about downloads (by iceweasel and by other method like apt-get/synaptic)
Because I don't think the tweaks can help significantly, I mean you almost cannot see these effects, specially with a 20Mb connection...

Ciao @+

MerMouY

Some of my websites:
Communautary website idea: [teams.elivecd.org]
Personnal website: [perso.youm.org]
Rwanda, french community: [rwandaises.fr]
YouM's streeshow: [youm.org]
January 13, 2010 03:30PM
I am now running 1.9.54 and my only issue is an odd one I think. For some reason AOL.com is extremely slow to load compared to any other site I visit and is no slower on any other Linux, Mac OS or Windows. If anyone has an idea why I would like to know. Some odd code they use on AOL perhaps? Maybe some strange interaction with iceweasel 3.0.6?

thanks
January 15, 2010 04:34PM
by default ipv6 is enabled in mozilla, but when your internet provider doesnt handle ipv6 , you have to disable it.
write " about:config " in the adress field of iceweasel, confirm the warning and change " network.dns.disableIPv6 " in true,
" network.http.pipelinig " in true and " network.http.proxy.pipelining in true.
this worked for me.
January 16, 2010 12:33PM
Hey thank for the tip sonik!

MerMouY

Some of my websites:
January 26, 2010 01:24AM
I disable ipv6 to see if it would help. the other two settings were already set to 'true'. It really didn't seem to help AOL.com. My ISP supports ipv6 as far as I know anyway. I'm really not sure what's going on with AOL. I never saw this issue with My Mac, Windows or any other Linux I've run in VirtualBox. Very odd.
January 26, 2010 01:52AM
hmmm, I installed Opera and Google Chrome to see if one of them worked better with AOL. Turns out, Opera takes forever to try and load the AOL.com page, even longer than Iceweasel. Google Chrome however, has no problem at all with the page and loads in a couple seconds. I don't know what the difference is but at least as far as AOL's page goes, Chrome is 100% better.
February 08, 2010 07:15PM
Maybe a silly idea: Where are you located because I heard that some aol's portal was going to close in some countries...?

MerMouY

Some of my websites:
February 08, 2010 09:40PM
well first, I don't think any question is silly. But, I am in the U.S. and I'm fairly sure AOL has no plans to shut down portals in the U.S.
February 11, 2010 07:00PM
ohmygod sure in US... Sorry no anymore idea...

MerMouY

Some of my websites:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login