Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I paid for "eliveuser@Elive[~]$_"

Posted by pjw 
pjw
I paid for "eliveuser@Elive[~]$_"
April 15, 2008 09:42AM
Thanks for a beautiful OS. I´ve seen the screenshots...And I downloaded it. And I I did as I should. And it was a
black screen with:

eliveuser@Elive[~]$_

Nothing more, nothing less.

Shame on this scam.

PS. This forum: so many unanswered questions. Damn it. We PAID for this. DS.
Re: I paid for "eliveuser@Elive[~]$_"
April 15, 2008 06:42PM
Amen brother. I can run the Live CD but it wasn't worth the $5. Debating about installing it... Not the most intuitive interface I've ever seen. I have to guess at what most of the icons at the bottom of the screen mean. And the elive panel? Cute, but irritating. This is the last time I spend money on a Linux distro. I have no qualms about contributing cash to a project that I can see ahead of time, but having to pay for what is supposed to be open source sux.

oboedad
April 16, 2008 08:32AM
hello good sir. try to download elive again ok? i'll kindly give you an invitation code so you can have it for free! CulchyaicconaisDuRak3
pjw
April 16, 2008 11:17AM
> **kaemon12433 Wrote:**
>
> hello good sir. try to download elive again ok?
> i'll kindly give you an invitation code so you can
> have it for free! CulchyaicconaisDuRak3

Many thanks, but after I downloaded 20 mb the server for Mirror 1 went down and now it just says: "Code not allowed"...I think I´m not supposed to install this.

Ubuntu; here we go again!
April 16, 2008 01:07PM
I'm not sure what could be wrong. my download went fine. OH i think..did u close any windows during the download?
pjw
April 16, 2008 01:50PM
> **kaemon12433 Wrote:**
>
> I'm not sure what could be wrong. my download went
> fine. OH i think..did u close any windows during
> the download?

I downloaded it with my Mac (Macbook with Tiger). No M$ running at all. Regarding closed windows - nope. Everything started just fine, then the download went dead and I couldn´t get it back on track.

I will try to burn the .iso I have with another computer. I´ll get back too ya.

Many thanks again

PS. Sorry for my sometimes bad English. I´m Swedish...DS.

Edit: I din´t know that you meant (open computer OS graphical related) w i n d o w s first, I thought you were talking about Micro---t. wink

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2008 01:55PM by pjw.
June 27, 2008 02:27PM
similar to me :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2008 03:10AM by FMacBeth.
luz
September 08, 2008 12:59PM
Same problem here.

eliveuser@Elive[~]$_ is what I get on my desktop --not to mention I couldn't run it on my laptop, which has a SATA optical drive =(

I'd appreciate any suggestions [or my money back]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2008 12:59PM by luz.
September 15, 2008 08:53AM
Exact same problem here.

Booting off the LiveCD eventually gets me to eliveuser@Elive[~]$. I am very new to Linux and have been trying out a number of different distros desktops. When I type the logout command, it goes back to asking me for my Username and PAssword, but indicates that it is in "Elive tty1" mode. (sorry for the lack of detail; I am a linux newbie and didn't take very good notes.

Perhaps the problem is that it is somehow booting into tty1 mode instead of the normal desktop? Is there a way around this?

I don't mind the $5.00, as such (it's the cost of a Happy Meal <grin>wink. But it is $5.00 more than most other downloaded LiveCD's cost, and I would expect that it would at least get me to the desktop.

FWIW, I have a:Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 mainboard,
AMD Athlon 64X dual-core 4400+ (2.30 Ghz), and a Radeon 3870 graphics card
September 15, 2008 09:40AM
Ok, got it working.... Woot!

The next time I booted it from the livecd, I paid a little more attention to the graphics card issue and went with the VESA option instead and the desktop popped right up.

In fairness to the Elive folks, the graphics driver selection options were a pretty prominent part of the boot process and I should have tried that first.

Anyhow, to the OP and other posters in this thread, give this a try, if you haven't already done so, and see if it now works.
September 16, 2008 10:18AM
hi pjm and the other elive fans here! Hope nobody had to dye with hunger because he paid 5$ for an EliveCD instead of paying 500$ for a W**d**s license and for all the software you need for your work, not to mention the WGA problems when replacing a defective harddisk and so on.

My first experience with Linux was Knoppix, and I am happy to have learned how to work with it. I have also purchased some ready-to-run Live-Linux-CDs, and I do not regret it. (They are working even today, whereas the self-burned CDs are readable for 2-3 years only)
September 22, 2008 04:59AM
> **pjw Wrote:**
>
> Thanks for a beautiful OS. I´ve seen the
> screenshots...And I downloaded it. And I I did as
> I should. And it was a
> black screen with:
>
> eliveuser@Elive[~]$_
>
> Nothing more, nothing less.
>
> Shame on this scam.
>
> PS. This forum: so many unanswered questions. Damn
> it. We PAID for this. DS.
I'm sorry that you had to experience that. Personally, I never had the chance to use this distro yet but lemme guess, you still can type because you're brought to text mode instead of GUI? On booting, try this boot prompt, if available: forcevesa.
To enable generic graphic display support.

hth
January 25, 2009 11:13AM
i have the same problems . what supose i do wrong ??? hmmmm
May 29, 2009 09:23PM
I dont mind paying for any open source project... but others seem to work even if I dont pay.

Anyway, I cant even get to the part where you choose the card and the resolution. a mounting error is all I get when I try to boot from the CD.

The CD works fine in VirtualBox and I have made 3 already.
July 06, 2009 10:36AM
What is the exact problem here ? what means this "prompt" ? Is that you can't reach the graphical system and so just enter on a commandline mode ? please explain better the problem, this is not very informative

Please try the development versions to see if the problem is fixed for your computer

For refunds, see the Contact section on the elive website and send an email with the ID of the transaction
September 07, 2009 05:29PM
Ok, aparently the cause of this it was that the system was unable to reach the graphical system (bad graphical configuration, bad drivers, or a delicated monitor), so instead to have the graphical system started you return back to the console mode.

The way to solve this is very simple: configure better your graphical system, you can try the development version that includes a better complete system to configure the graphical system, and doesn't return to the console but to a configurator-suite instead.

Also try the simple option VESA for the configuration

Thanks to Ross Fifer for the the clarification
September 18, 2009 06:41AM
Who can solve the problem? thanks
September 18, 2009 06:45AM
I paid and downloaded the stable version of Elive not I work it from CD or USB ...
I hangs to this message
/bin/sh: can't access to tty; job controll turn off
(initramfs)
September 20, 2010 06:05AM
man, i want elive2.0 very much but can't pay for it because i don't have international credit card and i can't really write a topic about elive without installing it and trying out so i'm stuck here... is there any way to do something?
Requesting an invitation code!!! to Thanatermesis
January 01, 2012 01:52PM
Hello, my name is Luis A B i have try to reach you by email to request and invitation code from you after writing an article and review about Elive Topaz, i am sending you the article and the page where i placed it, i did it in my facebook, also in distrowatch.com, but for some reason they erase my article with no explanation from them, and also create and account in Taringa to write my article, despite everything i think Elive is so far the best distro i have try, it has amazing features and really love to full install it in my laptop, i also like to ask you, do i need two invitation codes? the thing is that i have a laptop and also a desktop and i really like to install Elive Topaz on both, well thank you very much for your time here is the page where i post my article: [www.taringa.net]
can you please help me with the invitation code my email address is: luis.sss@hotmail.es Thank you very much for taking the time to read this message and your supportwave

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 06:47PM by gtnorte.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login