Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Problem with boot

Posted by sk.shawn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Problem with boot
July 10, 2008 01:18AM
Dear all,

I need your valuable expertise on this. Apparently I have downloaded elive development version v1.7.8 for testing. And I'm facing problems in getting it installed.

Alright let me just run through the steps which I have taken.

1)Went over to one of the listed mirror sites to download the ISO and MD5 sum

2)Placed MD5 sum file with all the ISO files together and burnt it into a CD

3)Restarted my PC with burnt CD in it. CD-ROM being the first boot device

4)Nothing actually happens. PC simply goes to windows.

What could be the cause of this? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant as I do not really have much experience in installing linux based OS.

Sincerely hope for some kind assistance
in here.

Thanks

Shawn
Re: Problem with boot
July 10, 2008 01:42AM
Hello sk.shawn,

Well at the first place is the md5sum only for checking if the cd is right downloaded(so no need to put it together), second you should burn the .iso file as a iso (guess you use Nero there must be some option for that if not done that it won't work).
Then if that all went right and if you want to boot from a cd you should first give that option by turn it on into your bios, for example now it's probably set as hdd as the first option and cd the second, so change that before booting.
July 10, 2008 02:03PM
Hi ElonGlash,

Appreciate your reply. I'm not using any kind of 3rd party software in achieving a CD burn.

Instead, it's just a windows based thing which I insert a blank CD and the system will prompt me to place the copy files into the CD's location and the burn takes place from here.

I have ensured that my booting sequence is correct to with CD-ROM being the first. Have already configured this in my BIOS.

You know perhaps you are right, it may have
been the burning which made the booting fail. So what should I do then? Get a 3rd party software to burn the contents or how
do I instruct windows to burn a .iso file as an iso file?

Please advise?

Thanks!
July 10, 2008 09:24PM
Hi,

I have managed to get the burn done up properly.

However, I'm facing this error upon boot up after selecting the "default" option for installing.

The error message goes like this...

Unifing: base ls:/DSSCD/cdrom/xserver/: No such file or directory
Overall
Something wrong with the image mounting

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs)

So what's happening here? The screen just freezes here and I have to manually restart my comp again to re-enter windows.

Any genuine help is greatly appreciated!

Regards
Shawn
July 10, 2008 10:42PM
Hmm, the good thing is that it looks like you followed the right procedure, the bad is that the message shows somewhere that it is trying to do something which can't be done.
I don't think I can help with that wink
It looks like your cd/dvd reader isn't correctly handled, the only thing I can suggest is try to find some off these terms on google for a solution, or try a dev version off elive.