Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Live CD Persistence?

Posted by mjmurray 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Live CD Persistence?
December 29, 2008 10:40PM
Hey there...

First and foremost, kudos to all those contributing to this project. Great concept and great delivery.

I have successfully used the LiveCD for several development releases, and on several computers, aside from one very old laptop it has worked everywhere I've tried it...

I have successfully (using unetbootin) created a bootable USB version as well, and am very pleased with the results, however I do have a question:

Has anyone been successful in creating a Persistent USB installation of elive? I've tried a handful of things with no success including:

1. Modifying the syslinux.cfg on the USB to have each boot label be persistent, and adding either a -rw partition on the usb device or a casper-rw compressed filesystem. (both of these resulted in an error "Missing/Invalid -rw filesystem-as-a file" error.)
2. "create-usb" program, which did not like the elive ISOs...

I would love to have a persistent version of this on USB to show of to my local community and win some converts. I've seen that the web-site calls out that UnionFS is being used, and wonder if I need to be using some form of syncronization after I make modifications to the 'live' system?

Thanks in advance, and again, great product I look forward to making a donation on the next "stable" release date!

M.
Re: Live CD Persistence?
November 21, 2009 09:11AM
Dear Mr Mj Murray
sir, i have unetbootin and i have current version of elivecd,, Kindly tell me how to make usb-bootable from the livecd.. I dont understand which file i will choose/browse from the cd.. I do not find any .iso image in the /mnt/cdrom file containing elivecd.. Please tell me what to do, which file to choose..
Re: Live CD Persistence?
February 17, 2010 10:56PM
adhikariindia,

To boot elive from an USB is easy, I have a blog entry on how to do that, it will work for any ISO you may have.

Here is a link to my blog, let me know if works.
[soad1982.blogspot.com]

Jose Valdivia
[soad1982.blogspot.com]

Let the Linux begin !!!!