Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Elive (w/compiz, unstable) and Eee 901

Posted by nipsen 
Elive (w/compiz, unstable) and Eee 901
March 13, 2009 12:35PM
So, I tried booting on an USB stick, and it works really well. But I have a few questions:

Sound: seems that I get sound in the headphone jack, but not in the speakers (toggling the switch mutes the stereo- jack). Is this an alsa problem, or something else - will the solution just be a new driver, or..? Can I use the driver Asus wrote for the linux version - much point doing so..?

Shortcut keys, light up/down, and disabling wifi, etc: does it work after an install on the drive? Saw one post in the good experiences forum that said it did - is that on the latest stable builds? What about disabling the wifi- module - does it turn it off, or just disable the device in the OS - anyone know how this works?

Had about the same experience with the shortcut keys and sound in eeeUbuntu, until I ran the custom scripts they've included. Then I got sound in the speakers, and it at least seemed to work. ..Does anyone know of a way to do the same with Elive? Or.. is there a good way to customise it manually.. (not afraid of a bit of scripting - I just need to know if all the functions are available, and how).

Hibernation: will it work correctly? Do I need a particular amount of swap? I only have ~4Gb on the primary SSD drive.. will it be possible to fit this in somehow? (So... 1Gb ram.. First SSD 4Gb. Another slower SSD with about 8Gb. ..Any suggestions? ..the win- boot I have now only works now because I don't have swap at all :D)

Another thing: power- consumption.. Automatic downclock works nicely on the live- boot. Is the fan controlled by software as well (I ask because in ubuntu, there's a burst of fanning every time the temperature hits over some point), and if so, how? Is that just some code in a driver, or a script of some sort? Or will it be another kernel if I want to change this?

And.. will I get a heavy hit on the battery life compared to the windows boot, with the mysterious downclock settings included there (if you presume the computer is mostly idling, not running compiz and emerald, only running mail- fetch, and staying connected to skype, things of that sort). Any good guesses?

..last thing.. sorry for being so long- winded.. video- playback. On the win- boot now, for all the problems, it plays back flash and quicktime via plugins in perfectly watchable framerates. When I tried the same on Elive, I had problems. I have the same problem on my desktop (on gentoo), but sort of learned to live without it. Downloading or streaming mp3s with some other program, using other sources, and so on. But then again.. Anyone had good experiences with that on the Eee (901 model in particular, maybe)?

Lastly, great work on the distro. Absolutely love it. flirty <- like this. (Will definitively look for a stable release with "compiz".)
Re: Elive (w/compiz, unstable) and Eee 901
March 13, 2009 02:42PM
...wow. ..there's this setting in the boot- menu for EeePCs... I suddenly realized. Halt those questions about sound, lights, and so on.

This is impressive work.
March 16, 2009 03:04PM
:D
It's always like this.
March 17, 2009 08:28PM
tongue

So.. my revised list for things on the Eee 901 is:

1. Volume keys. Fn+function keys won't register in the E17 manager.. does this mean it's impossible to use that combination... - is it possible to find out where the problem is..?

2. "Turn off screen" and other keys on top of the keyboard - I have to give up on those, no..?

3. Ctrl+Shift marking text - i.e., whole words at a time doesn't seem to do much. That's an enlightenment specific thing, it seems - is there any reason why it is like this? Is there another combination for that function..? Is it possible to create one?

..oh, and where's the double- click speed settings?

Edit: another thing - can anyone give me a little advice about the Elive installer..? And I was going to use hibernation once in a while. So I need a ~1GB swap, I think? So... the root- partition would go on the 4GB SSD, and maybe the swap and home- partition on the 8GB SSD? ..Other good alternatives?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 10:47PM by nipsen.
March 18, 2009 06:18PM
Well, just a status update: works fine, had to create the partitions, and apparently write a partition table in gparted before I was allowed to create an extended partition. Then choose the partitions in the installer (/dev/sdb5... etc.), and that worked fine.

Now there's basically only the hibernation left. Apparently tuxonice writes to the disk, but doesn't restore on a reboot. I've added suspend=/dev/... to the kernel line, but it doesn't seem to work. Also, the computer doesn't want to boot after the first power- on. Not sure what to make of that. ...could it be asus' boot- boster causing trouble? But after that.. are there any other things I should look at to get the hibernation working..?
July 06, 2009 01:45PM
nipsen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, just a status update: works fine, had to
> create the partitions, and apparently write a
> partition table in gparted before I was allowed to
> create an extended partition. Then choose the
> partitions in the installer (/dev/sdb5... etc.),
> and that worked fine.
>
> Now there's basically only the hibernation left.
> Apparently tuxonice writes to the disk, but
> doesn't restore on a reboot. I've added
> suspend=/dev/... to the kernel line, but it
> doesn't seem to work. Also, the computer doesn't
> want to boot after the first power- on. Not sure
> what to make of that. ...could it be asus' boot-
> boster causing trouble? But after that.. are there
> any other things I should look at to get the
> hibernation working..?

Hibernation is perfectly works on 1.9.32 anyway boogie

Asus EeePC 1000H [Elive 2.0 Topaz]
Toshiba Satellite p10-802 -ATI video, ATI chipset, RealTech audio- [Elive 2.0 Topaz]
I hate ATI... but I love Elive. It work with ATI with no problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login