Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to make a persistent elive on USB

Posted by frugga 
How to make a persistent elive on USB
April 09, 2009 01:03AM
use unetbootin to copy the elive iso to a 4gb usb drive, then boot into elive using the newly created usb.

open a terminal window and type in su so you are root.
Then using the dd command to make a file of 512M

Type

dd if=/dev/zero of=/elive/.mnt/cdrom/live-rw bs=1M count=512.

Then format the newly created file in ext3 using

mkfs.ext3 -F 4096 /elive/.mnt/cdrom/live-rw
answer yes to "proceed anyway".

Okay you are done creating the persistent file to hold your changes.

Now you will need to edit the syslinux.cfg file to add persist=live-rw at the end.

eg,
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.8-elive-686 boot=eli quiet vga=788 resolution persist=live-rw

Thats it, reboot and you can enjoy a persistent elive usb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2009 01:05AM by frugga.
Re: How to make a persistent elive on USB
April 25, 2009 03:55PM
I tried your method with a Sandisk 4 GB Cruzer but it's not working for me. When I enter the dd command I get 'Read-only File System' and when I try to format I get 'Invalid blocks count'. What should I do? Also, how can I do this with a different sized stick?
April 29, 2009 05:47AM
oops sorry about that.

I have tried this on a 4GB sandisk cruzer too and it works, just adjust the size of count=512 to whatever you want eg,1000 will create a 1GB persistent file. remember elive will use up about 700M of the drive.

Boot from your elive USB drive.

write down the commands

dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/disk/live-rw bs=1M count=512

mkfs.ext3 -F 4096 /media/disk/live-rw

Then open up a terminal,

Unplug the USB drive and plug it back in, it should then be mounted as /media/disk.

Run the 2 commands above, they will take a while to create and format the file.

Then edit the syslinux.cfg file and add persist=live-rw to the end of the line as shown below.

menu label Elive Normal Mode <=you can change this to read Persistent Mode

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.8-elive-686

append initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26.8-elive-686 boot=eli quiet vga=788 resolution persist=live-rw

Reboot and enjoy.
gs
April 29, 2009 07:53AM
I am very interested in getting elive "live-persist" and thus was happy to find this thread.
However, neither procedure works for me. I use a 2-GB-Kingston usb-stick, which allows persistence with Dreamlinux, Kanotix or Sidux.
If I follow the advice first given, e.d. create the live-rw by doing
dd if=/dev/zero of=/elive/.mnt/cdrom/live-rw...
the file "live-rw" is created ok, but no changes are stored.
if I. after booting from the stick, remove and reinsert, and the do
dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/disk.....
I get a "bus-error" and no live-rw-file is created.
How could I go from there????
gs
April 29, 2009 08:57AM
its me again.
did some googling on persistence with pendrive linux - in particular Debian.
To make Debian live persistent, it was advised to add, to menu.lst of grub or, if using extlinux-bootloader, to extlinux.conf
the entry "live persistent" (without "" of course).
I did this instead of "persist=live-rw" and it did the trick for me: I now have Elive live persistence.....
April 30, 2009 03:30AM
OK

An easier way is to download an already formatted persistent file from here,

[www.pendrivelinux.com]

Unzip and copy to your USB drive which should already be a bootable elive system, then just change to persist=casper-rw

Your USB drive would need to be at least a 4GB capacity.

Alternately boot from an Elive CD insert the USB drive and follow the instructions in my 2nd post to create the file of whatever size you want
gs
September 23, 2009 10:53PM
regarding persistent it took me several months to find out the following:
with elive-development versions one does not need to create a live-rw-file.
It is sufficient to add, to menu.lst, if you are using grub, or to extlinux.conf, if you are using extlinux as bootloader for the live-usb-stick, the entry "live persistent".
Elive then creates a new folder with the name "Elive". This folder contains the hidden file ./mnt, and within this file the file "cow" which in turn contains all the changes made to be stored and available after reboot.
Therefore just leave out the parts in the above posts decribing howto create the live-rw file. You do not need it and you gain space on your stick which is then available for the "elive" folder.

Hope this is of use for someone.
Greetings!
March 09, 2010 01:39AM
I don't understand
---------------------------------------
may tinh xach tay | laptop apple | laptop hp
gs
March 09, 2010 02:03PM
what is it that you do not understand?

To sum up how I do it (using the recent stable version of Elive-2-Topaz):

1. download and burn the .iso to cd
2 create one partition on an usb-stick - 1GB or more, format with ext2
3 copy the contents of the cd to this partition (e.g. sdb1)
4 install grub to sdb by using the command, as root, "grub-install --recheck --no-floppy --root-directory=/media/sdb1 /dev/sdb" without the " "
5 as root do "scite /media/sdb1/boot/grub/menu.lst"
6 to kernel line ad "live persistent", save
7 reboot from the stick
The command "live persistent" will result in a new folder Elive which stores all changes made to the live system on the stick. You can install new programs, e.g. opera or create documents, connect with your wlan and everything is available after reboot
April 22, 2010 12:52AM
hi.
I'm using long time persistent mode elive 2.0 realy good working. But I have some problem.

1. Each startup right side screen appear reloaded note.
2. Each startup reoloaded before session self make shortcut icon.
3. When I change desktop wallpaper, it change self system wallpaper.
How can i fix this problems.
May 29, 2010 07:19AM
gs

I followed the last steps you gave, but I find that my USB key isn't bootable (or at least the BIOS says so)

I think it is a problem with GRUB installation in the MBR of my USB key.
June 08, 2010 12:56PM
The steps that gs posted work just fine for me, and I can confirm the issues that tachyon noted regarding the stacking up of the "flicker" warning messages (haven't found a fix for this yet). I did notice a performance issue, though, as I've been using it for a couple of days now. It appears that the USB drive is accessed constantly, and this often causes the performance to drag considerably. With other persistent live USB distros like Puppy Linux, the session save file is saved on a timer, on-demand, and during shutdown.

While I'm thrilled that I finally got this working in live persistent mode, has anyone else experienced the performance issue and chattiness with the USB drive? Is it possible to configure how often session data is saved to the persistence file? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Phil
March 02, 2011 08:59AM
- Basically no step involving writing ANYTHING on the USB key will work given that the key is mounted "ro" for a start
- grub-install returns an error as it can not read stage 1 on the key (God knows why as it is all there!!!!)
- adding "live persistent" to the menu.lst has no effect whatsoever and adding that to the parameters at startup returns an error (grub complains about the "file system in a file" not being rw!!!!)
- so basically nothing woks here... Any suggestion????? as I would be delighted to have a persistent one running here!!!!
April 26, 2016 04:41AM
I'm thrilled that I finally got this working in live persistent mode, has anyone else experienced the performance issue and chattiness with the USB drive?????

== Solitaire ==

NOOR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 11:33PM by anmol77.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login