Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wifi on life mode

Posted by jurgen 
Wifi on life mode
January 12, 2011 10:51AM
Hello,

I just found out about Elive and tested it in a virtual machine.

I fell in love how beautifull this is! I tried Opengeu, yellow dog but they coulnd't statisfy my needs.
The Elive in the virtual machine experiencce was great. Time for phase 2, installing it on my Pavillion dm1.
At least, that's what i thougt. First I wanted to test in live mode if everything works.
Everything worked for me except one thing. The wireless connection.

It gave me an a error message that I needed to install it with the nurse(repair). I figured out that this option is only useable if you have the have the installed version. Which you can get if you pay for this OS. I would like to pay for a such beautifull OS if I only knew if everything works well.
I don't know this at the moment. So prepare yourself for here comes my question...
Is there any way to test if the wireless can work on the live mode?

I hope there is a way to do that.

Greetings Jurgen
Re: Wifi on life mode
January 12, 2011 02:28PM
Hi, Jurgen. Some questions for you:

1. How are you booting - from CD-ROM or fro USB key?

2. What have you tried in live mode?

3. Do you see the "Internet" widget on a shelf on the bottom of the screen?

4. Did you open the Internet Configurator?

5. Do you see your wireless interface (one of the two buttons at the left - there is a wired button - eth0, and a wireless button - ath0 on my eeePC)?

6. Is your wireless interface turned on?

7. Do you see your wireless card when you enter lspci in the terminal?

8. Do you see the wireless interface when you enter iwconfig in the terminal?

I hope I can help you, Jurgen.

Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
eeePC 701 4G
January 13, 2011 10:25AM
1. I have 2.0 on USB and installed Zeitgeist on the hdd. Both have the problem having no wireless.

2. ^^ Live 2.0 and installed version of Zeitgeist

From this point I only tried this in Zeitgeist.

3. Yeah

4.Yes I did.

5. Just the eth0 one.

6. Yes, accordingly to my wireless button on the keyboard.

7. I saw Ethernet controller(This is the wired one right?) And I saw Network controller(Think this is the wireless one)

8. I don't believe so, I see the following:
lo no wireless extensions
eth0 no wireless extensions

I tried to install it with the hp driver(Ndiswrapper) but without succes.

Greetings Jurgen
January 13, 2011 11:57AM
OK, so neither Linux distro "sees" your wireless chipset. The driver may be missing from the kernel.

"7. Do you see your wireless card when you enter lspci in the terminal?
- I saw Ethernet controller(This is the wired one right?) And I saw Network controller(Think this is the wireless one)"
I'm not sure that the "Network controller" is the wireless chipset. Is there no other info like manufacturer or model number?

(I checked, and that should be a Broadcom 4315 controller on your dm1. It seems to be a problem for Linux:
From [www.linlap.com]:

"The only distribution that I have tried so far which boots, installs, and everything works out of the box is Mandriva One 2010.0. It is dead easy, and very, very nice.

U*bu**u 9.10 boots and installs ok, but there is no driver for the Broadcom 4315 WiFi in the base distribution. After completing installation, you have to have a wired internet connection, then go through System/Administration/Hardware Drivers, and it will offer a choice of the STA or b43 driver. I have only been able to get the STA driver to work; the b43 driver installs without problem, but never sees any wireless networks. The STA driver seems to work just fine, but remember, you HAVE to have a wired connection to get it downloaded and installed.

openSuSE installs ok, once you get the CD to boot, but the only driver for the Broadcom WiFi is the b43 driver, and once again I can't get it to work. It should be possible to get the STA driver (also known as wl) from the openSuSE software build service, but I haven't taken the time to try that yet.)"

So, Jurgen, you are going to have trouble getting wireless to work on anything but Mandriva.

Maybe you can try some other Linux distro's. If you like Enlightenment, try PCLinuxOS (based on Mandriva) (http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=215). And you can always try U*u**u - just to see whether the wireless works.

Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
eeePC 701 4G

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2011 12:06PM by jschall.
January 14, 2011 01:30AM
I found at the bottom of my laptop:
Broadcom Corporation Radio Model BCM94313HMGB

I tried *buntu and indeed could install the drivers through System/Administration/Hardware.

I could indeed try PClinuxOS if it works but from images I saw at google it's not as beautifull as Elive. I'll make a live cd and check if it works on PClinuxOS.

Is there a way to install the driver the same way as in *buntu (The STA driver?) Or a way to import the driver from *buntu/PCLinuxOS?

And I see the bcm43 modules and b43 fwcutter installed. I think I saw on a website taht if you installed bcm STA with that it should work but I coulnd't find that in synaptic.

Greeting Jurgen
January 14, 2011 03:00AM
I think this is as beautiful as eLive:

[pclosmag.com]

And your Broadcom chipset will work on it!

Did you see this?

[www.broadcom.com]

Or these?

[www.pclinuxos.com]
[forum.elivecd.org]
[forum.elivecd.org]

That last one implies that the connection will work in installed mode, but not in live mode...

I'm afraid I don't know how to help you more than that, Jurgen. That particular wireless chipset family is a real problem for many Linux distros. Good luck!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 08:32AM by jschall.
January 19, 2011 11:19AM
Thanks jschall for all your help. I could not get it to work.
I did installed *buntu the STA broadcom device and after that installed enlightenment and had wireless network. So doing it that way now.
Again, thanks for all your effort!

One last thing I want to say:

It's it's bullshit that I can't Type *buntu but I bet I can write down windows or macos!
October 14, 2011 05:48PM
Hi jschall,
I have a similar problem. My laptop has a PCMCIA Broadcom BCM4306 based wireless card; it worked flawlessly when in live mode, and after installing elive to hard disk, Internet Configurator tells me that no wireless card is detected.

lspci reports the wireless card.

What can I do to let elive recognize the card as it used to do when executed in live mode? Is there any application to set hardware / drivers properties?

Thanks in advance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login