Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

/bin/sh: Can't access tty; job control turned off

Posted by Thewinator 
/bin/sh: Can't access tty; job control turned off
October 15, 2007 01:43AM
When trying to run elive 1.0 gem on my desktop i get this error in every mode (default, fail safe etc.)
The same thing hapens when running ubuntu 7.04.

The entire error i get from elive is:
PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG
Loading, please wait...

<some usb errors here>
Buffer I/0 error on device sde1, logical block 312568576
<9x the above error with a slightly different block number>
Unifing: base ls: /DSSCD/cdrom/xserver/: No such file or directory
ls: /DSSCD/cdrom/deliver/: No such file or directory
overall
Something went wrong with the image mounting

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-4) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs) _

Now once i get this error the system doesn't respond to anything.

Any1 know what i could do to fix this problem?
Re: /bin/sh: Can't access tty; job control turned off
October 15, 2007 07:13AM
Hello

Check the MD5 of your iso !
October 16, 2007 03:42PM
yeah i get this quite a lot. my system is only booting 1 in 3 attempts which is worrying. my iso is fine as i got it through paypal from official site etc...
October 17, 2007 01:19PM
Note: To all readers of this posting, I am not an expert in Linux. I am an expert in hardware and fixing computers though. This is what I found and solved that DRATTED TTY Busy Box ERROR that makes so many people want to pull their hair out. :(

If you want the short version:
CHANGE YOUR OPTICAL DRIVE

If you want the full explanation and my findings then read on:
I am trully happy to tell everyone here that I found out what was keeping ME from installing Elive Gem v.1.0 to my Dell X300 Laptop.
I encourage with the greatest degree that anyone who is having the problem listed here give serious consideration.

About three days ago I downloaded a copy of Elive Gem v.1.0 and was very anxious to try it out. I first tried the ISO image and verified that the image was in good shape before I proceeded. I then went to my next step of trying out the ISO by installing it on the system that I am typing this message from. I installed to a virtual computer just so that I could go through the steps and make sure that I had all the facts on the install before I proceeded to my laptop. (So yes we're talking about two different computers here) I got the virtual computer setup and functioning fine using Virtual Box then began the third step of burning the image to a disc. I verified that the image was in good shape and that the disc was fine and then proceeded to try the laptop install and ended up with the following error.

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-4) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs) _

The exact same error that has plagued so many other noobs like myself. YES I'M A NOOB TO LINUX -but not to computers!!! HeHeHe- :D

I spent 3 days searching forums trying to find the answer and came to the conclusion that it seemed to be different for everyone as this error message is not diffinitive to all Live CD's. I did find one commonality though... I found alot of people with varying versions of Linux Live CD's that were having problems installing the version of Linux that they wanted because of hardware issues. Some where having problems because of more than one hard drive, others because of more than one optical drive in the computer (that's cd or dvd drive to the layman) I kept running into people having problems more so because of optical drive problems and it made me remember something that I'd run into in the past with other Live CD's...

For some reason some of the versions of ISOLinux that are put out with the Live CD (I'm guessing about this part but this appeared to be the commonality, so Linux Power Users please dont nit pick)don't want to cooperate with the optical drive that some computer users have and you end up with the error above.
Sometime later the same people who had put live cd's of thier version of Linux issued new versions of thier linux in new Live CD's with new versions of ISOLinux and it all MAGICALLY worked on the same optical drives that the previous versions didn't work on.

Testing out this problem I pulled out my IDE to USB setup and pulled out some pc optical drives and jacked them into my DELL laptop. (Yes you can do this if you have the right tools) Lo and behold I found another clue Some drives would'nt read the disc at all while others did and then would give me the same error. SOOOOOO
I finally found out for sure that it was a problem with the optical drive by pulling out my second MORE expensive laptop that WAS a Laptop Thin Client that I hybridized into a full laptop by pulling Laptop parts ((YES I'M GOING TO SAY IT)) from older cheezier less advanced laptops. ((Yes it works fine.)) Now before anyone goes asking, unless the adaptors have changed ALL LAPTOP OPTICALS ARE UNIVERSAL LIKE PC OPTICALS. The only thing that's not universal usually is the bay that they're put in by the individual manufacturer. So yes, I pulled one out of a bay and jacked it into may laptop and it WORKED!!!!

Just to make sure that I had the answer to my BURNING question I further did a test by jacking my IDE to USB into that laptop using the same PC optical drives and I got the same result on my newer laptop that I did on my older Dell X300. So having done all of the trouble shooting to make sure that I had the answer I logically eliminated on problem after another until I came up with

THE ANSWER:
CHANGE YOUR OPTICAL DRIVE AND TRY AGAIN!!!

P.S. I trully hope this helps other Noobs out there. I've seen alot of you guys who are desperate to leave M$ but don't know what to do when you need help because too many people are ready to FLAME! wow rather than take the time to trully help someone who wants something better.

P.P.S. My Dell X300 now runs Elive Gem v1.0 clap
November 04, 2007 05:31PM
I have this same problem/error message trying to run eliveCD on my main PC.

As regards the above post, I have tried three optical drives now with no success.

After reading some other distro forums, i am beginning to suspect my SATA hard drive.

My liveCD is perfectly fine - it installed great on my laptop - but will not work on desktop PC!

any advice/input greatly appreciated - also please reply in noob language - as i have so far installed linux only once, and only used for a few days...thanks
November 11, 2007 01:15PM
What media are you writing too, And what programs are you using, Only use top grade media you get less errors, I only use verbatim DVD-RW or CD, Always use a burning program like Nero, The reason is that most burning programs in windows stay locked on your drive even when not in use so when you burn a ISO to cd or dvd the drive does not have exclusive rights to your burner this causes writ errors. This includes many of the popular programs for windows. One exeption is Power ISO, which works great.Top quality media is also a must. I use only Verbatim now ive used cheap media and its a false economy and waste of money. I burn always at top speed Verbatim gives its best results at max burning speed ie with my burner 96-98% quality
using Nero test disc 90-92 at low speed.
Also their are cheatcodes that can be used if you encounter problems booting up. and a lot of laptops use inferior writers so they really need good media written well, Nero uses its own Codecs which are the same a Ms but better written than Ms and will only write if it is solely locked on to the burner.These are just my personal findings.Over several years with Ms and Linux.
December 03, 2007 01:13PM
Hi, i have the same problem, and my checksums are good. I've tried on 2 optical drives, and always is the same.

Maybe someone know how fix this up?
I have luck that i have dont pay for this, because this dont works!

Ps. Sorry but my English is not so good.
March 20, 2008 09:32AM
Hello,

Same problem for me here wow wow wow

Is there any solution, or have i paid 15$ for nothing ?

My md5 is good amd i have tried with Vmware and all is ok... But i can't install it on my pc...

:(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 09:35AM by FenDanT.
March 21, 2008 08:45AM
Hello,

The message is something like :

unifing base
ls: /dsscd/cdrom/xserver
No such file or directory overall
Something wrong with the image mounting

I tried this cd on another Pc and it works like a charm...

I'm a bit desesperate :(
March 21, 2008 04:49PM
Hello again :P

As someone told me on irc, i tried with the dev version, and it works like a charm... :P

Is there a possibility to do the same with the stable version ?

Or is there a possibility for me to install the dev version ?
March 21, 2008 04:56PM
Hello again :P

Do you think it's possible that the problem is with a sata dvd reader ?

On a french forum someone has no problem with an ide reader and the same problem as me with an sata reader...

Please if you have a solution to help us... flirty
March 22, 2008 03:23AM
Hello,

I have tried with nolapic noapic without any success...

routeirq=isapnd with the same result... :(
March 24, 2008 05:48AM
Its also very possible that the booting system of Gem can't detect/boot the media correctly to continue booting on this step.

The new booting system of Elive, called ELI, its a lot better and needs to let boot anybody from any device/hardware emosmile, so, try the version 1.6 (more compatibility in devices added on 1.7) and see what happens

Of course, there's new stable versions planned, but no date!, there's a bunch of development doing right now
August 28, 2009 05:15AM
Hi Thewinator

I have this similar problem/error message trying to run eliveCD on my main PC.
As per the above post, I have tried three optical drives now with no success.
My live CD is perfectly fine - it installed great on my laptop - but will not work on desktop PC.
If Anyone have got another idea then tell me.

Thanks in advance.

bluetooth freisprecheinrichtung

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 05:17AM by parkerlindsey.
Anonymous User
October 25, 2009 08:34AM
HELLO ALL! wave

Zband, big thnx!!

My optical drive on the old machine was very bad and i can'not install linux. But now it works!!

*YAHOO*
October 27, 2009 06:31AM
Happened on my acer netbook and I'm not too happy about it. It probably is the disc or drive,possibly the HD. Either way I could put another distro in and it'll work fine....but I don't want to.
October 28, 2009 04:00AM
Hi eliveuser!
wave

Well, you could try using another optical device. Or you could try latest dev-version.
Chances are good it will work like a charm.

Have Fun!
nod

Elive für Einsteiger: [sites.google.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login