Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installer-module Features: Trial Install

Posted by Thanatermesis 
Installer-module Features: Trial Install
October 04, 2011 01:21AM
In the past, we had "payment per download", which was easy and fast, the good of it is that users will pay on this step and forget about paying later. Then we had "payment per installation", which is very good because now the user can TRY and see if Elive satisfy him, or also, to see if he has a correct support of drivers (you have payed for something that doesn't boot your computer ? not nice).

Actually this method is very good, the only bad thing is that an user can't really "try more" Elive, I mean, Elive is fully featured, I think that almost nobody knows how much internal features has, and they are discovered over the time to play with it, so could be nice to have a "trial install mode", this means, for example, one month (or 2 weeks?) of free install. The problem of this idea (apart that requires Elive accounts and some work in the website and this feature), is that the user could come more upset about the payment, is better to "pay and forget" than "play and enjoy elive and in the future see a blocking thing"

Thoughts ?
Re: Installer-module Features: Trial Install
October 04, 2011 07:57AM
Just thinking out loud:
Why not make something like Mandriva powerpack?.

Greetings:
Agust

Linux user # 461797
Elive user since 2006
October 04, 2011 08:11AM
What's exactly the mandriva powerpack ? I don't know about it...
October 04, 2011 08:37AM
Just the difference is:

Powerpack = Full Iso (Programs, codecs etc. ..)
Free = Basic Iso

Another idea:
Elive free, but annual payment repositories (Latest updates, codecs etc ...)

Greetings:
Agust

Linux user # 461797
Elive user since 2006
October 04, 2011 08:43AM
I like more the second idea. The first one has different problems:
1) install applications is not hard, so anybody can do it
2) we don't want to limit the user experience/knowledge "a la windows" by having difficulties installing applications, we want show that this is better than other OS emosmile
3) most of users (90% or more) would resist to make the payment (the same users that will pay in normal way), i mean, a % of users that doesn't has problems for make the payment but only the laziness to not do it will delay it day after day, which be converted to a "trouble" and bad feeling about Elive (just imagine all those window users that never payed for it, with the lot of annoying measures by windows, ok, windows is a lot more expensive but just think about the feeling).
October 04, 2011 09:07AM
Well, the annual payment for the repositories, so it is quite good and is addictive to the user who wants to always update your system as possible.

Greetings:
Agust

Linux user # 461797
Elive user since 2006
October 05, 2011 11:00AM
hi all, i'm back after years (who cares? :D)
If you think to adopt an annual payement, think about a n-years payment. I could pay for 2-3-4... years update, so less payment.

Another approach (maybe silly...):
You can download and install elive free (with full updates with no time limitation). From the first boot, a "link" or "button" always present in the desktop ask you to donate to the project.
After x months your wallpaper disappear and appears a horrifying wallpaper pink and yellow that ask you to donate to the project.
Could be a friendly way to ask support to all elive's users.
October 05, 2011 02:50PM
Well, this is a very delicated point, looking the reality, only when the user is obliged to make the payment so, he can't continue (like the installer), then the user will do it... and forget it forever. If you annoy the user, that not works... see windows how annoying is, what does the people with it ? ignore, ignore, ignore, and continue working, ignore, continue working... result: a very annoyed user forever (lol)

I don't want to annoy users emosmile. It could be a good idea if the users will react to this, instead to ignore and resist (without thinking if the annoyance is worth of 15 bucks)
October 05, 2011 08:56PM
I bought Elive, years ago. I enjoyed the experience, but E17 was not a pleasant experience updating and configuring -- esp since I'm a novice.

I don't think paying for annual access to repositories would sell me. What are my expectations for every year I pay? What if I don't think enough has been improved this year or next?

I wouldn't mind paying for improvements when I choose, having access to a 'pay' repository.

A trial period of 30 days (program limits - freezes after warnings for trial period) with the option to pay for a specific repository for an 'update' -- overwriting the 30 day system trial function.
October 07, 2011 02:45PM
I love elive & have been using it since revolution [0.5 release]. I am not a newbie, advanced user & not a gamer, but just a linux hobbyist focusing mainly on multimedia & office stuff. I miss having it updated & have been using bodhi but still miss elive. I am willing to pay each year for updates & think the best option for implementing this is through the 30 day trial period.

The thing you are competing with are other free distros, like bodhi & there are others using e17 these days, but I like the debian system best. Keep up the great work & I hope to see a fresh elive release in the near future.

A side note: I would also like to see nautilus in the repo so we can use dropbox.
October 12, 2011 01:51PM
I think 1month trial version is the best option. Users can see how elive works and begin to configure and use it. After a month, when they'll love Elive they'll want to continue the adventure with Elive and they'll pay to do that.
anu
October 30, 2011 02:33PM
no free "codes" to have full elive ?
October 30, 2011 09:45PM
I wonder what is going on with Elive today? I go to the chat on freenode and the bot is even gone!

Sheesh, elive is my favorite distribution!!!!

What gives?

Peace!!!

Anita
November 01, 2011 07:56AM
sambagirl: working hard to make newer version of elive ASAP emosmile, actually Im doing tests in the new builder of ISOs and trying to port/update/migrate all the packages of elive one to one (around 1400 listed in the repositories). So stills a lot of work to do.

Im just now in the channel of Elive and the bot is here (maybe a shutdown of the server), but yes, there's nobody in the channel, I hope that the people will return after new releases comes out emosmile
November 01, 2011 08:17AM
it's an hard waiting for new stable release! emosmile
November 01, 2011 08:22AM
I know bouba... but it is also hard to make it, lot of things requires changes, there's a thousand of tons of work emosmile

Now, we should spank everybody that says "elive is just debian with enlightenment" haha :D
November 01, 2011 08:46AM
something strange happened to the emoticons/smileys of this site weird i won't noticed that in the past, maybe there's long time ago that they was broken omfg well, it is fixed now, thanks to a backup emosmile

boogie matrix meditate clap wave w00t
November 01, 2011 03:52PM
Thanatermesis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Im just now in the channel of Elive and the bot is
here (maybe a shutdown of the server), but yes,
there's nobody in the channel, I hope that the
people will return after new releases comes out emosmile

Sure!!! nod

Greetings:
Agust

Linux user # 461797
Elive user since 2006
November 05, 2011 09:01PM
Hello Everybody!
I want to do a request...
Is it possible to keep the old kernel?
Some old PCs don't work fine with newer kernels, like mine emosmile
Thanks a lot
November 07, 2011 06:16AM
Hello lumussolem88,

You seems like to be a good candidate for beta-testing in old pc's emosmile

Everyday is more hard to maintain compatibility with old computers, and since I don't have some bunch of old computers it is not easy to test and review elive on them...

By other side, the kernel should be the most easy thing to have for maintain old compatibility, the hardest thing is the rest of the system.

Please tell me the exact reason of why you say that new kernels doesn't works well with old computers. What's the exact problem with yours ?
November 08, 2011 10:45AM
Ok, well, my computer have sound problem with the newer kernel.
The sound problem is that with GStreamer is "accelerated" and with Xine is faltered.
This happens with all distros with a kernel greater than 2.6.26.

Some information about my PC:

/proc/cpuinfo/
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 863.871
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
bogomips : 1729.07
clflush size : 32
power management:

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82815 815 Chipset Host Bridge and Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82815 Chipset Graphics Controller (CGC) (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:0c.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)
November 08, 2011 10:49AM
Mmmh, this is strange, but is a driver bug... you should google your audio card model + your problem to see what's the progress of this issue, which will happen to more people than you. Maybe we just need to include a patch in the kernel in order that will work.

Have you tried debian squeeze with an updated kernel from backports or testing ?
November 08, 2011 10:50AM
Oh, by the way, I'll be happy to help if needed! emosmile
November 08, 2011 10:57AM
I'd tried everithing...
Even I tried to downgrade the kernel but not works very good, and the same thing happens with the newest kernel.
And yes, I have tried a lot of Betas of diferents distros.
November 09, 2011 06:09AM
And I suppose that you are not using 64 bits, of course...

Have you googled about this problem with your model audio card ? you should found some results of more people with the same problem and the solution for it.

If is a laptop, this is not nice, if is a normal computer, an easy and fast solution is to change the audio card emosmile
November 09, 2011 09:55PM
Hehe, yeah, I'm not using 64 bits.
And with google I can't find solutions that work hmmmm.
I guess change my sound card is the only one definitive solution.
Thanks for help! emosmile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login