Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Triple boot

Posted by ACW 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Triple boot
November 12, 2007 03:01AM
I have just downloaded the live CD and run it and am pleased with the distro.
What I would like to know is, I dual boot XP home and Linux Mint, will the installer automatically set up a partition for Elive and will it alter grub so I can triple boot.
Re: Triple boot
November 12, 2007 03:20AM
I have not tried installing more than one linux distros in a while. Back when I did, GRUB only configured the distro being installed and Windows. I had to manually add the older installation to GRUB. I don't think that anything has changed...

Even if this is required, it really is not hard to do.

I break things.
November 12, 2007 07:07AM
It is up and running as a triple boot.
:D
November 18, 2007 03:00AM
I have a similar problem. Before I decided to install Elive as my third OS, I had Mandriva 2008.0 and Windows XP already running on my machine. Both of those two systems are installed on their own hard disks, which are SATA-150 Maxtor HDDs. I installed Elive on a third drive - ATA-133. While installing I choose not to install Elive's GRUB, as I was afraid of my other GRUB (Mandriva's) being damaged (it did happened earlier). Now I dual boot with Mandriva and Windows XP, and also wanted to add Elive to my GRUB menu. Unfortunately as for now without any success.
Below are some of my crucial files which can be helpful to anyone who would be so nice to help me. I guess all I need to know is what to add in the menu.lst file.

/boot/grub/device.map

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb
(hd2) /dev/hda

/boot/grub/menu.lst

timeout 15
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu
default 3

title linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=LABEL=root resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=LABEL=root resume=/dev/sda5

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=LABEL=root failsafe

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 03:01AM by Zibi1981.
December 18, 2007 03:36AM
I made it "easy" I have an "installation sequence"
1) I make enough partititions for the 3 OS´s
(inluding swap partitions) -I got 1 HD-
2) Install Windows in the first partition
3) ELIVE
4) Install the 3rd OS (I have Xp, Elive & Ubuntu) since Ubuntu install GRUB it add automatically all the OS´s to the Grub menu available on my HD.
5) enjoy! :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2007 03:37AM by atari130xe.