Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

ADSL Internet in Elive 1.0

Posted by Zibi1981 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
ADSL Internet in Elive 1.0
November 18, 2007 05:04PM
Yesterday I finally managed to install and run Elive Gem 1.0 as my third OS. I went through configuration and all is working fine, as far as I can tell at the moment. Now I want to have Internet connection emosmile
I have an ADSL connection which is working perfectly on Mandriva and Windows XP. In the first case the only thing I had to do was to copy two files to /lib/firmware folder and configure the connection with a handy wizard. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for some wink ) Elive isn't a rpm distro. It also don't have ADSL modem configuration wizard. Could anyone help me with this, as I'm making my first steps in deb-based distro :D
Thanks in advance.
Re: ADSL Internet in Elive 1.0
November 19, 2007 07:29AM
I have ADSL, hadnt made anything speciall to get online. Just check Elive panel, Admin and Systems configuration, then Network Configurations. In connections your network cable should appear as Ethernet Conn 1 or Ethernet Conn 2 (i have two net adapters) , if it is deactivated just Activate it, I use DHCP (dynamic IP), thats all (unless you are connected with USB which I dont recomend due to probable burn downs from lightstorm, etc.
Hope this helps.
November 19, 2007 04:17PM
Hello alex2035!
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my situation is different than yours, as I'm using a Thomson SpeedTouch 330 USB modem. To connect on Mandriva I use PPPoA protocol. I also have to type my username and password and only then I'm able to get online.
I'm wondering whether there's an ADSL-manager or similar in Elive. I think it could help me a lot.
November 20, 2007 07:43AM
I think there is: I have it in my menu after having typed : 17genmeu to scan the new programs installed (in a terminal)
After that , under Generated Menus find System and there you can find a ADSL/PPPoe configuration entry, hopefully this will lead you in the right direction emosmile
November 20, 2007 07:44AM
sorry, it should have said: e17genmenu , this is typed in a terminal and scans all your programs and adds them to a Generated Menus new item. Good Luck
November 22, 2007 04:17AM
I tried your method, but unfortunately got some errors. Couldn't copy and paste here the output from a console, because in Elive there isn't such an option! I always do this in Mandriva but console in Elive don't have cut, copy and paste options. Strange...
November 22, 2007 11:55PM
mmm...install eterm and run e17genmenu from there.
November 25, 2007 03:43AM
I got another problem...
When looking for a solution, I ran onto a program called Eppp 0.0.3. It may help me to connect to the net via my ST330 modem. Unfortunately I don't know from where to get dependencies needed to compile that application. According to INSTALL-file it requires:
- eet
- evas
- ecore
- efreet
- edje
- ewl
- e (enlightenment I guess)

Does anyone know from where to get Elive deb-packages of those applications/libraries?
November 26, 2007 05:57AM
[e17-stuff.org] has under Applications, just added EPPP 0.0.3 with link to download and instructions to compile.
November 27, 2007 09:34PM
Could anyone post here links to the applications mentioned above?
December 11, 2007 04:42AM
So can anyone explain to me in few simple steps how to install Eppp 0.0.3 on EliveGem 1.0, please???

"./configure" gave me 3 missing packages:
ecore-config,
ewl,
libxine.

Where to get them?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 10:59PM by Zibi1981.
January 15, 2008 09:55PM
Still no response... Guess have to choose another distro, as Elive is completely useless for me without Internet connection :-(
July 26, 2008 11:03AM
i had a similar problem y couldn't make my internet work, i used pppoeconf i configured all but still without internet so i had to install ubuntu 'cause i had non other OS in my pc