Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

64 Bit compatibility?

Posted by cooltd825 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
64 Bit compatibility?
January 16, 2008 03:41AM
Hello! I'm new to these forums.

I have been a Windows user for as long as I can remember, so Linux is as new to me as India was to Columbus. I'm building a new computer and need an OS to use until I can get Vista Ultimate on there (although I may just dual-boot it, Elive looks pretty sweet).

My main question is if my processor can be run in 64 bit mode, or does Elive only support x86 arcitecture? After using a 64 bit OS for a good 6 months, I can tell already that it's so much faster than 32 bit operating systems. I also have a few questions about how everything works with Linux, but I can save those for Wikipedia.

Thanks!
Re: 64 Bit compatibility?
January 16, 2008 07:44AM
Hello,

Yes, Elive support x86 and x86_64 systems wink
January 17, 2008 02:26AM
Thanks.

What about AMD prcessors? I'm guessing that it will run on them, but I can't find anything that says they will (or won't).

This OS looks pretty amazing. E17 seems like it's the best of Vista and OS Leopard, and I can't wait to get build my system so I can install it.
January 17, 2008 04:32AM
No problem with AMD processors ^^
January 20, 2008 07:37PM
Yes it supports them, BUT it is not 64bit ...
So do not expect it to be as fast as a native 64bit Linux system. Elive is wonderful. I do not know why those excellent programmers which created Elive didn't prepare a 64bit version of Elive.

It is much faster guys. At least in scientific codes compiled from source using compilers which CAN do 64bit optimizations. This is the PathScale compiler, the Portland Group compiler e.t.c. Usually benchmarks compare 32bit code in both ARCHs and executables which are compiled with GCC. But GCC doesn't do good job with 64bit optimizations. 64bit is quite new and compiler vendors need some time to do it right. So since all new hardware come in 64bit, I believe that Elive people should have a 64bit version of Elive.

That is a BIG P L E A S E.
Best,
Archwn.
January 20, 2008 07:40PM
It doesn't matter weather or not you have an AMD64 processor. Elive works fine. It needs a little bit of tuning in boot time. It boots quite slow. SuSE 10.3 now boots in 20 seconds. Elive needs about 50 seconds. But I like it so much. For a native 64bit system the best choice you can have is Sabayon Linux: www.sabayonlinux.org

I was using that one before switching to Elive. Now I use both because I need the native 64bit speed.

Cheers,
Archwn.