Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Fresh Install - Disk Partitioning

Posted by smirnoff 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fresh Install - Disk Partitioning
January 25, 2008 08:33PM
Hey guys

I have just started using Elive recently and like it so much I have ditched windows for.

The only problem I have now is that the partitions I originally created are not big enough and as a result I am having lots of disk space issues so this along with a couple of other reasons I have decided to do a do a clean install of the OS.

Being new to Linux I am not sure what partition needs what size so can anyone recommend what size partitions I should be using based on an 80 gig hard disk.

Don't know if this makes any difference but I can be a bit of an application whore.

Thanks!! clap
Re: Fresh Install - Disk Partitioning
January 26, 2008 02:16PM
Whit 160 GB of disk space I have 8GB in "/", 8GB in Windown and the rest in /home(as ntfs).
Re: Fresh Install - Disk Partitioning
January 27, 2008 08:19PM
Hi,

I think its wise to always have a partition that is roughly half the size or your ram (e.g. if you have 1 gig ram then 512 Mb partition) and dedicate that to swap. Its seen as excessive in some circles, but I've ever had a problem with it.
As far as the rest goes I would try a 100mb
"/boot", 4GB "/", 20 GB "/home", 55 GB "/media" (I just like to keep photos and music and what not seperate) and the rest as a swap partition.

I'm sure you know but be sure that that disk is not active that you are trying to partition (i.e. use the live disk and access the hard disk with the partition manager found under utilities).

Good luck.