Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

VFS: Cannot open root device - kernel panic

Posted by svgt 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
VFS: Cannot open root device - kernel panic
March 04, 2008 01:47AM
Hi,

I have installed Elive_1.0.Gem.iso on old 233MHz machine with 256MB RAM. Perhaps twice it was possible to boot the system.
Then there was a long tuning procedure in the terminal, which ran automatically. When this procedure was over, it was not possible to boot the Elive installed system. While the tuning and updating of the system was running, I did nothing else with the system.

The system-layout is:

hda1 windows
hda2 swap
hda3 home reiserfs
hda4 root reiserfs

I get the message:
VFS: cannot open root device "hda4" or unknown-block (0,0) -- kernel panic

I hope for help.
regards Svgt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 01:55AM by svgt.
Re: VFS: Cannot open root device - kernel panic
March 04, 2008 08:09AM
I have see this problem 2 times before... is a bit tricky/strange that this happens, but the reason is the generation of a new initrd file...

So, the fine-tune step generates the initrd with mkinitramfs, the installer generates it too when the system is installed, the problem aparently is that in a very few computers (like yours), the one generated by the installed, tunned, and perfectly working system, aparently not works... but works the initrd generated on the installation (because you can boot it the first time)

In other words, in the /boot directory of your installed system you need to have a initrd*****.bak file or something like that, just copy it the "without .bak extension" and your system can boot normally... how you do it ? from the livecd for example :D, or press "E" key on grub to edit, select the second line (where is the initrd), press E again to edit it, renname the initrd file with ".bak" extension, and press B to boot the system.. remember to copy the .bak to the original one when you have booted the system

Where better support than in Elive ? emosmile
March 04, 2008 06:01PM
Hi,

thank you so much for the prompt solution. It runs with the old initrd. Nevertheless I was impressed by the long lasting tuning procedure.Is there any chance to make this procedure successful?

Regards Svgt

PS: In my other modern computer the automatic fine tuned initrd is working fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 07:23PM by svgt.
May 06, 2009 12:39AM
Hey,

Sure it works as you said...but how can I get the one tunned ? thanks for your help.