Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

installation problems

Posted by jamie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
installation problems
May 12, 2008 12:34AM
Hey everyone

I'm having some problems installing.
I get through the initial boot into the live cd environment, get through to the login with username 'eliveuser' and passwd 'elive' but i have no graphical interface, i just have a console and shell prompt.

i selected all the default values, except for the screen resolution. I'm really not sure what to do next, or even if i've done something incorrectly.

I use a Dell xps m1330 laptop with an intel
chipset, core2duo, etc.

I'd be really grateful if anyone can help me further, i really want to install this os.

Jamie
Re: installation problems
August 30, 2008 10:45PM
What a huge waste of money. I have the same problem and it looks like a lot of other people do to by the # of views on this post but not one person can help? Free is the only way to go, seems the more you pay the less you get.
November 11, 2008 10:12AM
I have the same problem

It might be to do with the fact that I installed through Qemu over SLAX ... (long story) ... or it might not, by the looks of things

However, you can get into X with 'startx' at the commandline

If this doesn't work ... or you get a weird disply (monochrome / wrong resolution / etc.) ... log in as root and execute 'dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg'

Log out and back in as yourself and 'startx' again

You don't see the pretty login screen ... (you're already logged in) ... but you do get to the desktop

If it's still monochrome, middle-click, select 'desktop'/'backgrounds' and click on the background icon - It should all become a lot clearer then

The problem for me at the moment is that it isn't saving the settings - So, the next time I start X, I have to do the same thing all over again <*sigh*>

And I'm not convinced that what I'm looking at is really 24bit color

Oh! ... And where are the stars on my desktop!?

But I'm working on it - If I find a solution, I'll let you know
April 02, 2009 04:19AM
I have exactly the same problem - using the onboard display card on my Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 motherboard. I'm installing directly in the console - no emulator - using a quad core CPU and 4Gb of RAM.
Any ideas on how to resolve this ?
Re: installation problems - command line - SOLUTION
April 02, 2009 04:36AM
OK - I found the problem on the installer

After booting from CD and ending at the command prompt, I noticed the following error:

Parse error on line 84 of section Monitor in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
"AD"" is not a valid keyword in this section

When I vi this file, line 84 looks like this:

ModelName "CMC 19" AD"

If I change this line to the following (without the AD" at the end)

ModelName "CMC 19"

then it allows me to do a "startx" and proceed with the installation

I'm not sure where this syntax error is coming from, but I think an extra " in any line can cause 'startx' to fail
wink