Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Entrance problem

Posted by cybermarcel 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Entrance problem
July 29, 2007 04:13AM
Hi,
I have a problem with entrance. I can't log in. When i give my login and my password. Elive boot but i come back to entrance and i can't work. The only way is to open a terminal CRTL+ALT+F2, connect under my login, remove the file .X0-lock with root and execut the command startx.

Thank you for your help.
Re: Entrance problem
July 29, 2007 12:38PM
I remember that bug... but Its fixed on Elive Gem, do you are using Elive Gem version ? And its installed in "update mode" or a clean install ?
July 29, 2007 05:49PM
it's a clean install, i download another one the iso and reinstall all. I think that it's the best way, isn't it ?
August 22, 2007 08:32PM
Sometimes for make sure that "all is clean", yes

See if you have a .Xauthority file on the home of your user (starting with a point means HIDDED file), remove it directly: rm $HOME/.Xauthority

Is the password of your user using a $ (dollar) character ?
August 23, 2007 05:20PM
Hi,
I have reinstalled the system and now all is ok ;-)
thank
August 24, 2007 12:35AM
Bug fixed (.Xauthority file) from the installer for the next builds
February 18, 2008 03:04PM
Hello, I did an update/upgrade, and after that the sasme thing started happening. When I write the corect username and password, I get kicked back to entrance.

Deleting .Xauthority doesn't help; Something always makes a new one.

Could anyone help me with with this?
February 18, 2008 03:17PM
Oh, I should add that even startx doesn't do what it should: It just tells me something about

"waiting for x server to shut down freefont path "fpe" /usr/share/fonts/misc refcount is 2, should be 1, fixing"

I would really prefer changing a line in a broken file over reinstalling the system.
February 18, 2008 11:28PM
Hmm. E17 works well, so it seems to be an only-E16 thing.