Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with root password

Posted by linuxcanuck 
Problem with root password
September 17, 2008 01:32PM
After using the Live CD and liking the way it worked I installed the latest version (downloaded yesterday) only to find after wiping out my Xandros partition on my eeePC 900 that my root password won't work. I have installed it twice with the same result. The second time I was very careful as I typed to make sure that the caps lock was off and that I was accurate.

I use the same root password for every distro and I have used it for years so it isn't that I don't remember it.

I checked the keyboard in a terminal and the keys that I typed seemed to work and I am typing this so that must be the case. I don't know if it has me set in some unusual language or what.

I have used Linux for years and have done hundreds of installations and this is a first.

I have no problem logging in as user, but to change the system my root password is required so it is rather limiting.

As I said I have installed twice with the same thing happening both times.
Re: Problem with root password
October 19, 2008 06:01PM
I'd like to bump this- after install my root password won't work. Presumably this is because the installer suppressed certain characters or the keymap changed between installer and saved, installed system... but presuming that gets me nowhere. How do I fix it?
Re: Problem with root password
October 20, 2008 10:30AM
linuxcanuck and davideckels, What version are you using? if it is 1.9.11 the development site says this is a bug and if you want to install wait for the next version.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login