Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding user to sudoers [SOLVED???]

Posted by banuffin 
Adding user to sudoers [SOLVED???]
September 23, 2008 07:54AM
|| UPDATE:
Looks like I can get around this problem by su-ing first (can't use sudo) and then running the commands I need to. This is more of a hack/workaround IMO.||

I'm trying to install some apps using apt-get. Unfortunately, I need root access to do so. When I am prompted for my root password, I am told the password is incorrect even though I am positive that I am entering it correctly. Perhaps I need to add my user to sudoers? If so, how can I do this?

I can log into the system as the root user using the root password, but I cannot su to root or sudo anything while I am logged in as my username. Furthermore, the root login seems to lack access to pretty much everything; I can't even figure out how to get a terminal window open. Since when does the root user get less access/privileges than other users?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2008 08:01AM by banuffin.
Re: Adding user to sudoers [SOLVED???]
September 25, 2008 12:54PM
Hello banuffin,

I can remember I had such a issieu a while back too, the problem was that the keyboard wasn't properly configured into the terminal while it acted ok in for example abiword, the problem is that you can only change it as root with keybconf in a terminal, and you can't because you can't become root, sudo isn't enabled so you may try it with elpanel there is a possibility to change it also.
I must admit that it's a kind off tricky problem, but if you can login as root it should work in a terminal with keybconf.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login