Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Waiting for root file system...

Posted by tommytabib 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Waiting for root file system...
August 18, 2007 12:40PM
Hi all,

Well ive been using elive for about 7weeks now, and loving it emosmile. But i always had the problem that about 1 in every 5 times i try to boot elive i get the message "Begin: waiting for root file system" and the boot halts until i reboot it using ctrl+alt+del.

I think the message comes up every boot, right? but its only 1 in 5 that it stops there and will not continue.

In trying to fix this i just downloaded a new elive iso, from elivecd.org, and re-installed elive. I updated everything. But i still get the same problem.

Does any one know whats causing this and how to fix it?

If i switch from reiserfs to ext3, will that fix it?

Thanks
Re: Waiting for root file system...
August 21, 2007 01:57AM
looks like a hardware problem
August 21, 2007 03:45PM
Last night i reinstalled elive, and used ext3 instead of reiserfs. But upon rebooting i had the same problems so i reinstalled again and went back to reiserfs.

So is there no way i can fix this?
August 22, 2007 07:25PM
Enter on the liveCD and copy the file /mnt/your_root_partition_of_elive/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-elive.bak (of your installed Elive system in the disk, not the file of the liveCD) to the file initrd.img-2.6.18-elive (without .bak)

reboot at installed mode and see if works
August 23, 2007 08:51PM
I'm sorry, i don't quite understand what you mean.

I can see the file "initrd.img-2.6.18-elive" but where do you want me to copy it to?

And in my /boot i only have an "initrd.img-2.6.18-elive", i do not have a file that ends in ".bak"
August 24, 2007 12:32AM
Mmmh...

Install Elive again and before the fine-tune step, make a copy of the /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-elive file, when the fine-tune step is finished, copy your backup to the original file one, it needs to boot

This is fixed for the next versions of the installer

When you have your system booting, tell me and we do more tests about this issue
August 25, 2007 09:43AM
Ok, i did as you said. But i still get the "waiting for.....", it didn't work :(

I should also point out that after i installed elive and ejected the liveCD and rebooted i got the error. So im getting this error before i do the fine-tune of the system.
August 29, 2007 10:40PM
When I upgraded kernel to 2.6.21 I never could boot again. I got the same message.
<br><br>
I can't remember very well but I think it was an issue with sata and udev.