Acid rip problems
August 19, 2007 04:23PM
I have a pretty strong feeling this is a problem with Mencoder, not elive itself, but I'm getting desperate, so I thought I would throw this one out there.

Acidrip just _will not_ work for me. It doesn't matter what I try to encode a dvd to, it crashes every single time, usually around ten minutes in (that is, ten minutes of encoding the film, not the whole ripping process).

It's always the same error - 139, segmentation fault.

dvd::rip is giving me essentially the same problem, as is using Mencoder itself.

I usually end up with a cached version of the dvd, and an avi file between five and ten minutes long.

Does anyone have _any_ idea what's causing this?

Thank you!
Re: Acid rip problems
August 21, 2007 01:44AM
mencoder runs pretty good for me

try: apt-get install --reinstall mencoder

anybody has this problem too ?

BTW, anybody knows/recommends a better application to replace acidrip ? (exist a front-end for mencoder for Mac VERY good but not exist a version of linux and its not free i think)
August 21, 2007 09:39AM
Thanks Thana,
I'll give it a try.

An application I've been looking at is called Vive. I haven't tried it out yet, but I figure it's worth a shot.

K3copy also gets rave reviews, but doesn't seem to work in enlightenmnet atm.
August 21, 2007 04:13PM
paddy567, this is my first post and dvdrip works great in my system.

Did you make an upgrade, update?

Because I did upgrade and update and ELIVE is running with flying colors!!!

On K9COPY, the way I make it work was to download "KDELIB" or just "K3B" after that K9COPY gets the job done!!!

I hope this works for you.
August 22, 2007 11:08AM
Hey thanks very much for the help Joe, I'll give it a try when I get home tonight and let you know.
August 30, 2007 11:39PM
Nope, after scouring Google and countless forums I can not get any of the four rippers I've tried to work for me, with a variety of different dvds.

Caching seems to work okay, but something in the encoding stuffs up.

I've tried different audio and video codecs, no audio, etc. and it still doesn't work.

Mencoder gives the old errors 139 or 136, with the "too many packets in buffer" message sometimes.

Transcode just craps out.

lol, so frustrating! Sigh. The problem doesn't seem uncommon, but it's certainly not a program bug, but a system issue.

Oh well, I'll just have to give up digitising my collection. :(
August 30, 2007 11:39PM
Thanks for your help though, guys. emosmile
August 31, 2007 01:37AM
Test lxdvdrip, it's a console app only, but it is very powerfull.

Oups, sorry, it is not a divx encoder :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2007 03:55PM by phoenix.
September 09, 2007 05:09PM
sob! Oh well. No ripping for me it seems!
September 16, 2007 10:47AM
Hmmmm. I just had a thought. My home folder is on a separate partition to the OS.

Is it possible I don't have enough room on my OS for the ripping? There's only 1.5 gigs free.

Would that explain the crashes? Anyone?
September 16, 2007 03:17PM
Quite possibly... Also, how much RAM and swap space do you have? I had an old junk machine that used to seg fault all the time when I tried to compile large amounts of code... turned out to be that i needed more ram. Also, I have been told (but have never tried) that you can pipe DVDShrink through wine and use a few plugins to have it rip into a divx format. Not too sure on it, but worth looking into.
September 16, 2007 08:11PM
Thanks Phreaky. I'll resize tonight and see how I go.

I'm almost 100% sure it's not the ram - my computer's only a coupla years old, and I have a gig of ram.