Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

How to play audio music CDs in elive?

Posted by davego33 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How to play audio music CDs in elive?
March 26, 2009 03:02AM
I installed the unstable Elive Compiz distro yesterday and everything so far is working great.

I am able to download mp3s off the inet and play them just fine; however, when I insert a music cd in the same external USB dvd burner I installed elive from, nothing happens.

I also can't seem to figure out how to bring up some window like "My Computer" in windows which shows the dvd drive.

Any ideas or help for a newbie linux user would be appreciated.

Dave
Re: How to play audio music CDs in elive?
March 27, 2009 01:00AM
well here's an update; still can't get an audio music cd to play or appear in the file manager, though data CDs/DVDs will appear and work ok.

trying to burn a data cd did not work at first, but after using brasero to create an iso image of a folder containing data, then burning this iso image worked fine. I needed to transfer some stuff I d/ld onto my elive box to my winxp laptop.
March 28, 2009 09:20PM
When I first put the cd into the device, the system doesn't seem to recognize it albeit I have no problem to play them with Exaile Music Player.
April 02, 2009 02:34AM
searced for "exaile" in synaptic package installer and installed the exaile music player plus dependencies;
when I started up exaile, file menu/open disk item, message pop up:
You need the python-cddb package in order to play audio discs.
after searching for "python-cddb" and installing thru synaptic, now the open disk works and I am able to play my CDs. (quaint, I know! maybe I will finally get my CDs all ripped to mp3s and make a proper library of them).
April 02, 2009 05:56AM
Great. That's good news!!