Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

Posted by habitantedegaia 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
April 25, 2009 10:34PM
Hi,

Today I installed the elive 1.9.26 in the /dev/hdb1 (there are 2 Hard disk in my PC) and the instalation was ok.
The Grub boot the other systems, but the elive shows a error message.
Here it is what I read in the black screen:

root (hd0,0)

Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
Kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.8-elive-686 root=UUID=93316751-d2bc-4096-a44f-62dc83c557e8 vga=791 splash=silent resume=UUID=708c5a01-cad7-4ed8-85c6-a1f7f002b59a

Press any key to continue...

------------

Do I need to install everything again or there is a solution?

Thank you,

Alexandre.
Re: Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
April 30, 2009 08:09AM
Is your Elive installation on a JFS or ReiserFS partition?

And is the GRUB loader you're using coming from one of the other distros?

If you answered "yes" to both questions, it might just be that the GRUB version you are loading does not know how to handle JFS or ReiserFS...

The easier solution in this case would be to install Elive's GRUB version instead of the one you are currently using.
Bootup the LiveCD and run the installation program again, making sure Elive installs GRUB in your MBR (or some other place you know will work).
Note: your current Elive installation in sdb1 will likely be overwritten by the new one.

If the above has nothting to do with it... try googling for GRUB Error 17 (I've seen it times enough to know it's rather common, though I've never had it myself).
April 30, 2009 11:16PM
Hi

If you have installed elive on your hdb1 then I think grub is looking at the wrong drive, try changing root (hd0,0) to root (hd1,0)
May 01, 2009 12:39AM
frugga is right. I had the same issue.

habitantedegaia, you can easily try this on the fly when the Grub splash is displayed. Just press "e" when Gem+ is highlighted, change hd0 by hd1, then "Enter" and "b".
When Elive will be launched, you will be able to change the relevant entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
July 10, 2009 04:02AM
This is a bug and should be fixed, please follow this conversation at the just reported bug in: [bugs.elivecd.org] , i need your comments in order to fix it
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.