Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Accessing Remote Files

Posted by davec51 
Accessing Remote Files
May 08, 2009 07:00AM
I just installed Elive on a reiserfs partition of my old Dell PIV computer. Everything works fine; I was even able to get remote printing to my XP server in another room.
I can't figure out, however, how to access my shared files on that other computer. Permissions are in place.
Thanks for any help.
Re: Accessing Remote Files
May 11, 2009 03:13AM
Hi davec51 , perhaps installing Samba? idea

Greetings:
Agust

Linux user # 461797
Elive user since 2006
May 12, 2009 09:41AM
I think SAMBA is installed, because I was able to print to the remote printer through a CUPS setup that stipulated smb. But thanks. I'll check it out.
October 04, 2009 10:11PM
The new version 1.9.48 includes support added by default for sharing things (compatible with windows), it should be also easy to setup the printer too (in elpanel maybe), please try it and give us a feedback there emosmile
October 05, 2009 10:35AM
I'm using 1.9.48 and networking setup has improved greatly but there are no Windows machines on my LAN so I'd rather use NFS then SAMBA. Through Elpanel I can import and mount NFS' from other machines on the LAN but I can't export anything through NFS from this Elive box.
October 06, 2009 11:02AM
Just curiosity, is there any problem to use samba for sharing files between linux computers (no windows) ?

I mean, it looks to work correctly since NFS can give a lot of problems, it is possible that NFS is faster due to the UDP protocol, but i really want stability than speed emosmile, speed will be required for special purposes only, like 'really' server machines and such, what's your feedback about using samba between linux computers ?
October 20, 2009 12:46AM
Thanatermesis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just curiosity, is there any problem to use samba
> for sharing files between linux computers (no
> windows) ?

Besides having to install SAMBA on the other computers and speed, nothing. I am having problems just finding a SUSE computer on the LAN, but I may have installed or set it up wrong. The other 2 PCLinuxOS machines are fine though.
October 20, 2009 07:48AM
Well, if we dont have to install samba then we have to install nfs, it is the similar thing emosmile

About speeds, I suppose that nfs is more fast since it uses UDP, but that's a reason that makes NFS so unstable, samba is very fast too, maybe not that fast as NFS but perfectly fast for all (my) needs emosmile, specially while i can transfer via wireless without problems like NFS can have

About your suse machine... try to use the /etc/samba/smb.cfg file of your Elive on your suse, maybe you need to add your user to the sambashare group too
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login