Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to Add to the Bar Programs Not in the Menu?

Posted by LaneLester 
How to Add to the Bar Programs Not in the Menu?
January 01, 2010 08:14AM
I know about dragging the upper left icon of programs to the bar to add them. But I have some programs that do not have menu entries (is there a menu editor?), so I can't use this procedure to add them to the bar.

If I execute them from the terminal, their window shows the terminal, and that's what gets installed by a drag to the bar. I made the mistake of editing the properties of the bar object, and now I can't execute the terminal! Even the menu entry shows the edited object now!

Are there some instructions somewhere on how to edit the menu and the bar without any dragging and dropping?

Lane
Re: How to Add to the Bar Programs Not in the Menu?
January 04, 2010 12:32PM
Hi,
Not sure to have understood everything but usally i do:
Right-click on the bar and then you have choice to: configure bar (as a shelf), choose applications from the general app menu, or directly edit an icon.
For apps which do not appear in the general menu, you have to create them going through: Configuration=>Conf Panel=>Applications=>Add Application.

Hope it helps...
Ciao @+

MerMouY

Some of my websites:
Communautary website idea: [teams.elivecd.org]
Personnal website: [perso.youm.org]
Rwanda, french community: [rwandaises.fr]
YouM's streeshow: [youm.org]
January 18, 2010 04:53PM
you can add programs to the menu but creating a file in the /usr/share/applications folder.
easiest way is to right click on an existing file that is in the menu area you would like the new program to be in open with your favorite text editor. and modify it to fit the new program then make sure you save the file by using the save as option and
entering the correct program name. It will be (xxxx.desktop) where you replace xxxx with the file name you want.

The program will then appear in the menu and can be added to the panel.

Good Luck,
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 04:55PM by kc1di.
January 18, 2010 05:14PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I look forward to trying that out. I confess I gave up on Elive (sorry, don't remember why now) and am back in Ubuntu Karmic. But I'm running E17 there, so your suggestions are still relevant to me.

Things that usually kill my interest in a distro are the failure of some things to work the way I want. With Elive, it may have been Conky, because I have not been able to run it in E17 in Ubuntu Karmic, even though it runs fine in Gnome.

Lane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login