Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

1.9.57 Observations

Posted by LaneLester 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
1.9.57 Observations
January 26, 2010 08:55AM
Getting better with each release!

Gparted still broken, scans devices forever. I have two drives with a bunch of partitions each.

ext4 requires separate /boot partition. Have not seen that in Ubuntu or other distros.

I keep one partition for /opt for use with all the distros on my drive. But when I tried to select it under the "I already have my partitions" option, it wanted to format the partition. Fail!

Framebuffer question was a puzzler. I haven't encountered that with any other distro.

There's no /etc/fstab! Maybe Debian does it different. I gotta have my at-boot partitions!

Lane
Re: 1.9.57 Observations
January 26, 2010 06:24PM
Gaprted is not broken.
Works fine here.
Is there some device your BIOS expects to be available but is not installed? Like a floppy-drive which is still set active in the BIOS? That may cause gparted to search.... and search... and search...

alex

Elive für Einsteiger: [sites.google.com]
Re: 1.9.57 Observations
January 26, 2010 08:30PM
AlexAnteMachina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there some device your BIOS expects to be
> available but is not installed? Like a
> floppy-drive which is still set active in the
> BIOS?

I suspect you've put your finger on it. I replaced my motherboard recently and dumped my floppy drive at the same time. Gparted in other distros hasn't gagged on it, but I can see how it would.

I'll try to remember next time I boot to disable floppy access in the BIOS.

Lane