Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Payment Method?

Posted by arby 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Payment Method?
March 22, 2010 08:10AM
Well... I've looked all around and read several threads here, but
can't seem to determine the payment method for getting an install
module.

I've read people's discussions of it, but I see no link.

How does everyone send funds? Check, M.O., credit cards??
Where are the links? Instructions? HowTo?
Re: Payment Method?
April 05, 2010 04:30AM
Dear arby,

there is no seperate link for payment. download the image from www.elivecd.org, burn the CD and try it in the live mode. If you want to install it start the installer from the desktop. In the beginning of installation it will ask you for donation. Than you can do it. Hereafter the installation process will start.

Greetings

Squirrel
April 13, 2010 12:45AM
E quanto aos que não possuem internet em casa, o que farão....
April 17, 2010 02:54AM
OH MY GOD YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!

Because my horrible, loathesome, evil ISP (it rhymes with "shmerizon") ) reuses to support Linux, I need to install pppoeconf from the Debian DVD. So I need to install elive before I can get an internet connection, to free up the CD drive. So if I can only download the module during the installation, I guess I'm screwed.

I've already tried this, and the thing that really makes me mad is that while the installer informed me that I'm going to need to pay before I reformatted my hard drive, it didn't tell tell me HOW I'm supposed to pay until AFTER I'd reformatted my hard drive, and my perfectly usable Mepis installation had been vaporized.

Now, I know there is an address where I can download the installer code, because I was told about it during the failed installation, but what never occurred to me was that this address is a secret. So I didn't write it down. Now I've spent fifteen minutes searching google for the address, and that has led me here. So if I want the address, I need to initiate another install that I already know isn't going to work. For all I know, I may have to reformat my hard drive again!

Okay, let's play a game. Can you guess how many fingers I'm holding up? If you guessed "one", you guessed correctly.

I have nothing against paying a few dollars to an independent linux developer, but is there any reason for me to expect that the OS is any better planned out than this horrible horrible payment method?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 02:55AM by blackbelt_jones.
April 17, 2010 03:40AM
Payment method is just fine. If you have no internet connection during install it just gives you "code number" which use in another computer to obtain installer-module.
April 17, 2010 05:09AM
andreynazarov Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Payment method is just fine. If you have no
> internet connection during install it just gives
> you "code number" which use in another computer to
> obtain installer-module.

What? So I need two computers, and to you this is "just fine"? But the worst part remains that this was all explained to me in dribs and drabs WHILE I was installing and AFTER I had reformatted! So you're really all right with that? Really?

Of course, I don't really need another computer, I just need to initiate another install that I already know isn't going to work. And I don't remember seeing any code, so what is up with that? Did I miss it the first time around, or do I need to do more pointless installing to get to that part?

I mean why the hell can't I just paypal the money to a place that I can find on the web, and have them send me the code so I can download the freaking module?

The user should be able to undertake an install knowing in advance whether he/she has everything he/she needs. Anything else is a bad installer. I think this a pretty good solid rule.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 05:15AM by blackbelt_jones.
April 17, 2010 06:43AM
You are right that installation is not very clear as it should be. It is strange there are no "buy code for installation" link on the site. It would be much better.

And I don't remember seeing any code, so what is up with that?
At the beginning of installation, it ask you if you have code already or not. When you press not it tries to connect and then it says: I can't connect to internet, use code 'XXXX" at elivecd.org/installer-mode.
April 19, 2010 01:37PM
No, it doesn't say that. I just tried it again, before I came here and read your post. It doesn't give me an address, it just tells me to try a friend's computer. Since there's no address, the implication seems to be that I'm supposed to go to my friend's house and run the elive installer program on his computer. I mean, YIKES! Would you let someone begin to install a new OS on your computer?

Anyway, thanks for the address. I'll try that now.wave

(EDIT)

Sigh... 404... ohmygod

The end. I'm sorry if I was angry before, but let me say calmly and objectively that this whole system is unbelievably terrible. If you want to get people to pay for Linux, you have to give them decent support and service. Elive just racked up a big fat NO SALE, and from a Linux blogger, too. Trust me, my reader will hear of this!laugh

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2010 01:51PM by blackbelt_jones.
May 04, 2010 12:27AM
I totally agree that the payment technique should have been better developed, as this seems to be one of the turn offs I've read most about. I still love the distro though. Any idea if you can pay for the license key in advance?
May 06, 2010 03:22PM
Thanks to Than, got this issue resolved

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 10:30AM by Vincente.
May 17, 2010 09:48AM
I too am having trouble. I am trying to get a modern distro to run on a Thinkpad 600e. Elive looks like it would fit my needs, but I can't figure out how to get a functioning install code. This is a rediculous situation. Elive makes it entirely too difficult to purchase free software. It is a shame as I really like the layout and concept but until this OS moves beyond "Art" and becomes serious about customer service I will have to pass.

Greg