Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

allow user to shutdown

Posted by Denizen 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
allow user to shutdown
July 30, 2007 04:49PM
hi,

Has anyone figured out how to enable the 'shutdown' option when exiting e17 in ELive?

I'd like to shutdown my PC from the desktop, rather than log out and then do so from Entrance.

I googled about and saw some references to adding permissions to /etc/sudoers (that doesnt work for elive!) and also a reference to 'sysactions.conf' , but no illustration of what to add, and which i dont seem to have on my system anyhow wink

any ideas?

D
Re: allow user to shutdown
July 30, 2007 11:40PM
login to root in a terminal and type "shutdown -h now" without " "hot smiley
July 31, 2007 01:18AM
what do you mean adding permissions to the sudoers file doesn't work in Elive... you use visudo as in most distributions to edit the sudoers file. Run visudo as root and you can do what you wish.

A healthy diet includes, Linux, Linux and more Linux.
July 31, 2007 03:07AM
thanks, I'm aware of that option

I wasnt clear in what I was trying to achieve.

I'm trying to make whatever changes necessary to enable the shutdown option in th Elive / E17 menu.
I have a reason for wanting to do that, rather than log out, and shutdown from Entrance.
July 31, 2007 03:18AM
I tried adding permissions to /sbin/shutdown to the sudoers file (via visudo)

It did not seem to provide what I was aiming for.
namely,
That , if a user has permissions to halt or shutdown, or reboot, that premise enables the additional shutdown option in the E17/Elive menu.
(i.e. like you see in the menu options if you were to log in as root - for some reason)

Adding permissions to the sudoers file didnt seem make that happen

I do have a reason to want that option in the menu

If you say it sudo is the way to go about that then I'll persevere.
July 31, 2007 05:00AM
all i do is the same as windows press the start button that implements the shutdown process
and it shutsdown without using entrance, but don't use the reset button by accident,