Fglrx drivers
April 11, 2010 08:43PM
Hi all,
I'm running an ATI Radeon 9600 SE graphics card and selected the Radeon diver at HD install.
I'd like to try and install some Cad/Cam software into elive and would like to use the ATI Fglrx drivers ( as they are recommended by the software ) to get Direct Rendering enabled.

At the moment glxinfo typed in at the terminal states Direct Rendering = no and the glxgears command typed in at the terminal are running at 380 fps which is very slow.

Do I need to use the old kernel version of elive or can the Fglrx drivers be installed in the new kernel version and of the choice of drivers which would best suit my PC

Intel D875PBZ motherboard
Intel 3.4ghz 478pin Extreme Edition CPU
Ati Radeon 9600 SE graphics card

I downloaded the old kernel version of elive which is recommended for Fglrx drivers and ran the live cd but could not select the Fglrx drivers at startup, is this only a situation with the live cd and can they be selected at HD install.

Thanks,
Re: Fglrx drivers
April 11, 2010 10:24PM
Hi Taz62,

not really sure to understand what you are doing with the live CD. I have a nvidia card with my elive. But I installed an ATI 9600 on a Debian system. I remember that I have to download a package from ATI. It was a tar.gz file. After extracting I found a directory with a lot of files and a description what to do. One of the files was an fglrxconfig.sh. This file has build and placed the driver and configure it. Hereafter the xorg.conf has to be amended manually with an editor. It was described in a file coming with this driver what to amend. I have not installed a different kernel for this driver. Only header files, kernel sources and the build essential package was necessary to install.

Hopefully this helps a little bit.

Greetings

Squirrel
Re: Fglrx drivers
April 13, 2010 03:21PM
Hi Squirrel,

Thanks for your help, I'll check out the ATI site.

I have elive with the new kernel 2.6.30.9-elive-686 installed on my system I only tried the old kernel 2.6.26.8-elive-686 live cd to see if the fglrx drivers could be selected from the popup menu at boot but a message appears saying they are unavailable and you need to choose one from the other choices.

Searching for fglrx in the synaptic elive repositories brings up quite a few drivers and fglrx kernel modules but I believe they are for the old 2.6.26.8-elive-686 kernel. I might need to reinstall elive with the old kernel to end up using the ATI drivers which would be a shame because I have elive setup and running quite well now but I would like to be able to do my Cad/Cam work in elive and not have to go back to MS Windows just for that one piece of software.

Kind Regards