Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tips please?

Posted by tqk 
tqk
Tips please?
August 02, 2010 09:01PM
Hi, I'm a long time Linux+Debian user, but new to e-live. I have it running swimmingly on a PIV-2.4 GHz Compaq Evo, 0.5 Gb RAM, my sandbox box. This's mostly a full elive install via expert mode (it ignored a few ptns I wanted to use the first time, so I did it over).

I'd like printing to work. I get !@#$ about XPSERVERLIST in Galeon when I try. I thought Xorg obsoleted that!?! Ideally, I'd prefer to use lprng, or lpr at least. In Debian, that's a simple matter of dumping a .ppd into /usr/local, then twiddling with /etc/printcap; simple stuff. What do I need to do in elive to make that work? I'm sure there's lots of cups cruft installed by default in the way ...

Printer is an HP LaserJet 6L, parallel interface, and has worked well in the past on various FLOSS.

The default wm is really slow on this (00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)). Any tips on getting XFCE or LXDE or fluxbox working?

Thx. :-)
tqk
Re: Tips please?
August 02, 2010 10:47PM
Fluxbox works. Good enough. LXDE doesn't appear to want to, but that's not a great loss, just confusing.

Fluxbox performance is much better on this thing. Woohoo! :-)
tqk
August 03, 2010 01:10AM
Damn, this is annoying. I think I bumped a hundred bucks your way the other day. I love the system. Now, I'm re-installing, and it's not trivial. Yeah, this's my sandbox. email goes to my primary box. elive emails to $email address. How to get that from there to sandbox? ssh of course.

I've already gone through all that at least twice. What's the magic "doitagain" incantation?

Surely there's a better way. This screams kludgy, ought to be easier.

Sigh.
tqk
August 03, 2010 07:25PM
tqk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Surely there's a better way. This screams kludgy,
> ought to be easier.

Sorry, that was just me brainstorming. How about if you leave validating the e-live module to the very last, after the whole system has been correctly configured (but not necessarily "enabled"wink?

I think that'd shut up a lot of complaints. :-)

I still haven't seen a recent email from e-live in my mbox, nor spam folder, nor procmail/log, and I'm still not yet re-installed. Drat. I've been running Linux since '93. This is looking non-trivial. HTF did I get it working before, and can't now?
tqk
August 03, 2010 08:01PM
Ah. It's always the smallest of glitches that get in the way.

I finally found my installer-mod.cod, attached to a mail saved to ~/MAIL/el

Installer is chugging away happily.
tqk
August 03, 2010 08:15PM
Why don't Linux installers check for serial mice? This's easy:

/etc/gpm.conf:

device=/dev/ttyS0
responsiveness=15
repeat_type=ms3
type=mman

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
Option "Protocol" "IntelliMouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
August 09, 2010 04:49PM
My problem is when I run the console mouse daemon gpm (iirc) on the Thinkpad, in Gem and successors I was able to click and copy (like it would on X) on a VT. Now I get the whole display highlighted to where the cursor is, making gpm totally useless.

Not only that, don't ever log off the VTs. They just hang there and refuse to respawn another login.

Makes me wonder if I'm the only one using VT's.

This is all in liveCD mode; I wonder if it's any different in installed mode.
tqk
August 20, 2010 05:04PM
she_died Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My problem is when I run the console mouse daemon
> gpm (iirc) on the Thinkpad, in Gem and successors
> I was able to click and copy (like it would on X)
> on a VT. Now I get the whole display highlighted
> to where the cursor is, making gpm totally
> useless.

I use console all the time. In X, it's *really* annoying that "modern" terminal emulators don't offer "Login Shell?" options.
urxvt and xterm work sensibly.

Never owned a Thinkpad; complain to IBM.

Do modern "tower" peecees have serial ports, or have we gone all usb?
September 29, 2010 12:32AM
Fluxbox performance is much better.:P

Cannabis Seeds
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login