Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

temperature control

Posted by ndegekubwa 
temperature control
August 31, 2010 09:14PM
Hi,
I have found that when I run elive topaz or the development versions leading to topaz that the laptop fan never comes on to cool the machine. The temperature display for the cpu shows 73 degrees. I run two other versions of linux on this laptop, one debian based and another rpm based. The other debian based distro has the same problem as elive, it runs too hot because it doesn't turn on the cooling fan. The rpm distro turns on the fan at about 45-50 degrees and maintains the cpu temperature at 40 degrees.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite U505-S2950, with a dual core T4300 pentium processor.

The temperature is too hot in elive, how do I reset the software to turn the fan on to cool the laptop?
Re: temperature control
October 01, 2010 03:40AM
Hi,
Maybe have a look in synaptic for keyword "toshiba", I'm not under Elive right now but on my Debian Sid I found:
toshiba-fan and toshiba-hotkey paquages, they should help are they already installed on your computer? They should be detected by Elive installer... weird
Hope it helps

MerMouY

Some of my websites:
Communautary website idea: [teams.elivecd.org]
Personnal website: [perso.youm.org]
Rwanda, french community: [rwandaises.fr]
YouM's streeshow: [youm.org]
Re: temperature control
October 23, 2010 11:13AM
Hi,
I had already tried to see if there were any toshiba modules available to cure the problem before I posted to the forum. The specific module that you referenced in Debian is called Tosh-utils in Elive. However, with it installed there is no difference to the fan operation, they still don't come on.

I have done some reading about this problem and have found that this problem is becoming more prevalent on laptops as the kernels go to higher versions. The problem is in the kernel itself, as far as I can determine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login