Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Broken grub error 15

Posted by Boo2themoon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Broken grub error 15
September 16, 2007 09:04AM
After updating my system I lost all sound.

I looked around Alsa for a while but this did not work. So I tried booting from the live cd to ensure it was not hardware related and the sound worked fine.

I then clicked on the install to hard drive icon and looked for a simple way to reinstall without loosing anything saved. After a few clicks I decided against it and canceled the install.

Now when I boot from the hard drive I get an Error 15 statement and it will go no further.

I am dual booting with xp and have a Linux swap partition, Elive (boot) on Hda3 and a home partition on hda4 using a reiserfs file system

Is there a easy fix for this problem?

Many thanks

Boo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2007 09:22AM by Boo2themoon.
Re: Broken grub error 15
September 16, 2007 10:02PM
I have discovered that I have stuffed up my master boot record mbr omfg

The info I have found seems to fix the mbr with the windows install cd and the command "fix mbr"

This should get windows up and running but I'm not sure how it will affect elive.

If anyone has advice before I do this I would be very pleased to here it!

Regards

Boo
September 17, 2007 01:39AM
can you send the file /boot/menu.list if you can
i am not sure af the location. May be it's /boot/grub/menu.list

thanks
September 17, 2007 07:24AM
Thanks for your reply but I cannot find this file.

I am using Thunar to search for the file with elive cd.

The closest I have found is in mnt/hda3/boot/ 2 files called config-2.6.18-elive and system.map. There also a grub folder containing 2 package files (icons look like boxes) message and message elive.

I will keep looking

Thanks

Boo
September 18, 2007 05:05AM
i have this file on my elive :
/boot/grub/menu.lst
this file is on my partition where i have installed elive.
you sould have a file menu.lst in your grub folder.
September 18, 2007 09:06AM
Thanks again cybermarcel, but the file is not there. Maybe this is the problem?

I have been using windows for a couple of days now and its driving me nuts. So I have backed up all my stuff and I am going to fix the mbr with windows cd and reinstall elive.

Thank you very much for your time.

Boo
September 18, 2007 06:26PM
i think that you can find some program to reinstall just your MBR (knoppix ???).
September 19, 2007 04:00AM
Hi cybermarcel,

Yes I there is a way to fix mbr with some live cd's. Knoppix was mentioned on a few forums that I searched. However the procedure for this fix varied from post to post and I didn't feel confident in my skills or understanding to try this method.

So earlier today I ran the M$ cd and ran "fixboot" and then reinstalled elive. All is well again

As I had setup a separate /home partition this method was fairly painless but took over 1 hour to complete!

Thanks for your help and input, its good to know that there are people here willing to help us newbies.

Best regards

Boo

EDIT
I have realised that Elive did not recognize my original home partition and has created another on the boot partition. Rather a pointless install option then I think :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2007 07:24AM by Boo2themoon.
December 15, 2007 01:51PM
Could someone post their /boot/grub/menu.lst? I think this would go a long ways to helping people out with grub. I, for example, need to know what the kernel line should read...

Thanks.
December 15, 2007 09:26PM
Here you go.
This is NOT a dual boot setup but may help.

# See www.gnu.org/software/grub for details
# By default, boot the first entry
default 0
# Boot automatically after 5 seconds
timeout 25
gfxmenu /boot/grub/message.elive

title Elive Gem  
# kernel path-to-kernel root=rootdevice kernelarguments
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-elive root=/dev/hda2 vga=791 splash=silent
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-elive

title 		Memory RAM diagnostic
root		(hd0,1)
kernel	 	/boot/memtest
savedefault
boot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2007 09:28PM by Boo2themoon.
December 16, 2007 10:12AM
Thanks. I figured out the problem though. 'fdisk -l' showed that my partition was primary, but gparted (on an ubuntu machine) said it was w95 or something like that. I ended up having to format that partition and reinstall.