Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Elive scanning USB hard drive

Posted by hxcobd 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Elive scanning USB hard drive
October 17, 2007 12:56PM
Hey, first off, just want to say I am using Elive 0.6.9 and absolutely love it. Beautiful distro, works like a charm in almost every respect.

However, I have one complaint.

Whenever my machine boots, when I reach the blue "Please wait while your system is booting"-type screen, Elive appears to scan by USB external hard drive (160 gig) for an EXTREMELY long time (5-10 minutes) every single time..... Maybe to check filesystem or something?

I know the drive works fine because I play music off it every day in Elive.

But I want it to stop scanning it! Is there a simple way to do this other than unplugging it every time I reboot?
Re: Elive scanning USB hard drive
October 30, 2007 07:20AM
Have you tried pushing Esc key when the blue screen appears? There you can see exactly what is going on and you can post more details here. It can be something else, like network initialization. I have 500 GB external drive and it is recognized in few moments correctly. But I use GEM 1.0 version with updates from elive/etch repositories.
October 31, 2007 04:31PM
I'll give that a shot, thanks sva.
November 03, 2007 11:11PM
It simply says:

/dev/sda1 (something something) errors found, scan forced

Then it proceeds to scan for 5-10 minutes

Then says:

(Control-D) to continue or password to enter maintenence.

The drive works fine, and I wish it would stop doing this.
November 06, 2007 02:52AM
What filesystem do you have on that disk? Have you tried manually check the disk? Try something like e2fsck, or something similar, the disk may have some errors although you play music from it successfully...