Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

e17 repository

Posted by dabadur 
e17 repository
July 28, 2007 05:07PM
hello

i am wondering why the repository for e17 in the stable release is OVER a year old?! even a 2 month old build can be much worse than the newer cvs release. i mean. this shall be a distribution which supports e17, right? one of the few distros which has it actually. well, the build misses fundamental changes, such as module management, a clean configuration menu, freedesktop.org compatibility, various modules and - the most important thing - stability. couldnt you do at least a new build every 1 or 2 months? is the developement release more updated? if so please tell me how old the release there is and a apt.source example would be nice, to upgrade my distro.

i really like elive but it seems that nothing has changed, when i used it a year before and that would be a reason to use ubuntu or gentoo, where pretty recently updated versions are available. btw. it would be nice to have the same modules for all kernels that are available. the newer kernel doesnt have my acx wifi driver. which forces me to use the default one. unfortunately i have errors at boot with that, which dont appear if i use a newer kernel from the repository.

everything else seems pretty fine. go on with your good work
Re: e17 repository
July 29, 2007 04:06AM
Hello,

You can see the wiki of Elive : [wiki.elivecd.org]

With "test repository", E17 is up-to-date (0.16.999.040 today emosmile)
August 23, 2007 05:16AM
Elive needs to update its e17, of course, but my TODO list is giant, i need to found a bit of time between all those other things to do, update the version of e17 is a lot of work because a lot of things needs to be integrated/modified/etc... Like phoenix says, you can use it very easly at a very recent version, but use it at your own risk, I have made that it can work, but you have a lot of things that not works by default, like autolaunchers and automounts
August 23, 2007 05:21AM
If Elive had NOT had this e17 version it would have been unusable (pretty much) about 80% of the time. The version of e-17 that Elive uses, is pretty stable, and has very few bugs. The new e-17 is just NOW getting to where it is getting more stable. I would much rather have a working Elive than one that is "up-to-date" in development, but segfaults on me every 3 minutes.
The next development release of Elive will have the new e-17... and we will start the process of implementing/configuring it.
September 04, 2007 10:23PM
well i agree about having a stable version of e17 than something unusable..
but i also see that the e17 in eliveis becaming too much old really, i like elive, is fast and stable, but w/o freedesktop compliance is rather unusable...
the problem of the menues is really a big problem..especially for novice users.
September 26, 2007 04:06PM
I wait the next release. emosmile
November 16, 2008 09:07AM
We also look forward to the next release, which I assume will be better than the previous one anyway ... emosmile emosmile

Linux es mi copiloto
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login