Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Would a dedicated area for Beginners/n00bs/old fart/retards be out of the quest/

Posted by jimmj43 
Would a dedicated area for Beginners/n00bs/old fart/retards be out of the quest/
December 14, 2007 03:02PM
I only recently learned about eLive - and at that less than a year after diving, headlong into Linux, with the intent to wash away all the clammy Windoze tentacles.

After exhausting my Excedrin supply in trying to get by with Feisty, I ventured out... From the sophistication of Sabayon and on thru MINT, Puppy, to the minimalist DSL and TinyiMe - currently (unhappily) residing with Gutsy.

You Linux guys talk funny. Sometimes it's hard to understand for old farts such as myself.

For the record: My first impression of eLive (free/unstable version) blows the doors off even the highly-touted Sabayon.

Windoze users frequently wrench their jaws outta joint as it abruptly drope when they learn that many/most Linux distros require only a single mouse click on the browser icon to connect to the internet.

My jaw still hurts from learning that the free/unstable eLive OS could be driven directly to Youtube to view Flash vids without the pain of installing installers, then installing Macromedia's latest and greatest so the installer could install the... Durnit! I need another Excedrin.

e17 is to Linux as butter is to bread. But with the added element of EXCITEMENT! Smooth, slick, sophisticated, eye-pleasing.

I'm GUSHING, aren't I? Sorry about that. If you're here you'r\ve already experienced what I have and don't need to be reminded.

Now down to brass tacks: I want to install eLive onto one of my spare machines:

Compaq Presario 5WV280
900G AMD CPU
384M RAM
30G HD

The installation prompts revert into instructions that are simply over my head.

If I select the first (preferred) method of partitioning the HD I'm presented with a window I can't make sense of!

I DID include "retarded" in the thread title, diddle I?

OK, I'll acknowledge that there all sorts of flags announcing that the unstable version is for testing (presumably by adept whiz kids).

Is there a means by which I too can 'play' with the "adept whiz kids"?
Re: Would a dedicated area for Beginners/n00bs/old fart/retards be out of the qu
December 16, 2007 07:58AM
Hi Old fart and welcome to the fun wink

I'm certainly no whizz kid but I'm able to share what I know. First some questions

Which unstable version have you got? The latest is Dev 1.2.3 and is a more stable version of the unstable version lol.
Have a look at the link below,there is a download link too.

[__[]]

Are you going to dual boot with Windows? If so defragment you Windows partition a few times before you make new partitions for Linux.

I would then recommend you have a read of the link below. It should explain things better than me. There are others too, proberly better ones, so google around a bit.

[news.softpedia.com]l

I would also recommend that you create a least 3 partitions.

"Root" where Elive will reside.

"Swap" which gets used as virtual RAM. Twice the mbs of your physical RAM is usual. So about 800mb for you.

"Home" Where your personal files will be kept.

Have fun and let us know how you are getting on.
Re: Would a dedicated area for Beginners/n00bs/old fart/retards be out of the qu
January 19, 2008 12:17PM
Is there a means by which I too can 'play' with the "adept whiz kids"?

You are MORE than welcome to the #elive IRC channel!
It is both tech-oriented and not... we try to have a good time in there, too! we even have a coffee bar and serve redbull shots. We are saving up for a big screen TV so we can watch the elive youtube video non-stop emosmile
Just click on your xchat icon, and you'll be there in a heartbeat!
best wishes,
roxville
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login