Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IS ELIVE DEAD? (NO/repositories servers problem)

Posted by intera91 
IS ELIVE DEAD? (NO/repositories servers problem)
March 13, 2011 03:19PM
One might wonder after the lack of activity on both the forums and the IRC channel, not a soul in sight!!!
the repo server is down, and no one seems to notice!!!! so what's going on?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 04:48PM by anu.
anu
Re: IS ELIVE DEAD?
March 15, 2011 03:24AM
Hey,

elive is managed only by few people, so take it easy, we all are humans emosmile it will not die just like that - without any sound, give more time, why such panic ?
March 15, 2011 05:46AM
Elive is not dead, if there's not much people in the forums and the IRC then is needed to invite more people to join Elive emosmile

About the repository, thanks for report it, I know about the problem, It will be solved as soon as possible, see that the full server of icedslash is down right now, I have reported it so its just a matter of time.

Note: There's not much news about Elive because there's a lot of work in the internal elements.
March 15, 2011 06:27AM
the reason the server is down is because of a DoS attack, that is according to the provider, I have reported it as well you see and the french guy I spoke to was very nice and understanding but nevertheless it has been two days and now the DNS does not know the name europe.debian.elive-systems.com anymore so it appears the problem is getting worse, not about to be fixed at all. Hence the stress level!!! am sorry we have to get acquainted this way Samuel, trust me am all for elive and all your hard work to continue, but that is going to be hard without a server!!!
March 15, 2011 11:33AM
Yes, he's a very nice guy emosmile

I can understand your trouble, Im also trying to install a package here and its not possible so im only able to just "do other things" for now. Basically, apart of the DNS routing see that if icedslash.org not works, everything that points to it should not work too, so Im unable to do any thing for now until icedslash.org comes up again, if it works again and the repositories of elive still not working then I need to see what happens, but basically it should work when this attack problem will be solved.
March 16, 2011 12:56AM
the attack has been confirmed by icedslash.com they have put up a little page to explain at [www.icedslash.com] so watch that space!!!
CHO
March 16, 2011 05:08AM
If the repository does not mean that ELIVE is dead, just have to have patience, greetings to all.

Use translator, I speak Spanish
March 17, 2011 01:16PM
Been a linux user for many years and this is the first time I have ever seen repo's server down. Give us a time line on when the server will be up. I have paid for this Topaz twice and an rather miffed that I can not install the software I want.. Topaz wont get far with this type of service..I have looked for two days just to find that the server is down very poop customer support...
March 19, 2011 12:27PM
I also was very worried in recent days also because I thought that the project is over. Now I understood that it is not so, I am ready to wait as long as necessary. Too bad that in the IRC channel nobody knew anything about the repositories and therefore I had quite despaired.
March 19, 2011 09:20PM
Hello!
Are there any updates on when the repos will be available ?

I still can not get to them, but icedslash seems to be back online.
Please let us know what the status is.
Cheers,

-manichattan
Re: IS ELIVE DEAD? (NO/repositories servers problem)
March 21, 2011 05:35AM
Unfortunately the server issue is taking more time than the expected, looks like a big attack, I dont know more details about this attack, we just need to wait.

garwal: There's actually only one mirror for the repositories, there's more than one for the isos, so the unique mirror for repositories is down and we can't do anything for that except wait, if in the future there's more people offers mirrors for the repositories, this issue will be more easy and fast to fix. The actual repository is at least 60 GB of disk space, this is why there's not much mirror offers, maybe this will change in the future to less size.
March 21, 2011 04:23PM
I don't understand.
Why do we just need to wait?
Is there a reason for all the secrecy and lack of information?
I am curious about what happened.
It seems like icedslash.com and some of their clients are back up and running.
There is no mention of the hack or the attack.
Whatever information was posted before is gone now.

In the meantime, can I use the elivecd repository or is that for something different?

Thanks!!!
-manichattan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login