Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
We moved to this Improved Forum!

Do not use this old forum, we MOVED to here!

Advanced

Is EliveGem only for purchase?

Posted by Zibi1981 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is EliveGem only for purchase?
October 03, 2007 12:23AM
Hi, I'm quite a newbie in Linux world and I have a question. Is Elive a distro only available for purchase (something like Xandros), or it also has a free branch like Mandrive Free i.e.? I'm asking because I had the opportunity to try Elive when Elive Revolution RL2 was attached to "Linux +" magazine and I liked it very much emosmile Now wanted to try EliveGem. Do I have to pay for it, or it can be downloaded elsewhere for free ?

Thx in advance for replies wink
Re: Is EliveGem only for purchase?
October 03, 2007 12:44AM
Elive doesn't require "purchase." It does however require a donation in order to obtain the download link.
Xandros doesn't charge for the Operating System... They charge a yearly fee for the tech-support and software updates/security updates. I think it's B.S. how Xandros does it, however the thing that you need to keep in mind is that there is only one developer for Elive.[elivecd.org] (Sorry to the graphic designers and testers. I don't mean to steal your thunder.) The donations are what will keep this distro going.

*Edit*
You can download the development version of Elive for free... [elivecd.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2007 12:46AM by MacUser.
October 03, 2007 09:45PM
And what about downloading Elive via P2P, like eMule or a BitTorrent client? Is it legal?
October 03, 2007 09:53PM
There should not be any "legal" restrictions. Elive is not available for "purchase" it just requires a donation to download. If you find a BitTorrent, go for it.

**From Download page**

Why request a donation ?

Elive is free and made with pleasure for your pleasure, but free does not mean "no cost" . I spend all my time developing Elive. It is my choice. Your choice is whether or not downloading Elive is worth a donation. I have not put a minimum donation, because I realize that many of you are students with very limited resources. I thank You for showing interest in Elive, and hope to see you in #elive on IRC!

You decide the value Elive has for you. What do you obtain ? You maintain the future of Elive and you also receive faster downloads.

Note: This actual way of download Elive can be changed on the next release

What if it's not possible for me to make a donation ?
- You have the option to pay with a credit card or with paypal.
- You can try Elive from a development version.

If you really don't have a way to make a donation to download Elive, contact Thanatermesis.

Why not donate?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2007 10:24PM by MacUser.
October 11, 2007 08:52AM
> **MacUser Wrote:**
> Why not donate?

Maybe it's because I don't have a credit card or a pay-pal account wink Why not "officially" release a torrent? It would be much cheaper I guess. Well I've downloaded EliveGem via eMule anyway.
Thanks for your replies MacUser emosmile
August 27, 2009 10:23PM
Hi Zibi1981

There are some websites available for free downloading EltveGem so you go through it.
Elive is not available for "purchase" it just requires a donation to download it.

bluetooth freisprecheinrichtung
August 27, 2009 11:09PM
October 11, 2007....